I had in the freezer 2 packs of mixed chicken thighs and drumsticks, about 7 pieces in each pack. Yesterday I put them all in the slow cooker - just the chicken, nothing else, and cooked them on low for about 3 or 4 hours. Took them out and left them to cool, then took off the skin (gave it to the dog) and pulled off all the meat, then left it in the fridge overnight. There was a mugful of chicken stock in the slow cooker, just from the chicken, I hadn't added any stock or even water.
This morning I chucked 3 large peeled carrots and a large onion in the food processor and roughly chopped them. I put the mugful of stock, a can each of mushroom soup and chicken soup, and half a canful each of water to swish out the can dregs into the slow cooker, along with some dried sage and mixed herbs, a bit of salt and a lot of black pepper. Stirred in the chopped carrots and onions and some frozen peas and sweetcorn. Will leave it to cook on low for a couple of hours.
Early this afternoon I'll add the chicken, a punnet of chopped mushrooms and a couple of handfuls of rice. I'll probably need to add some more water too once the rice begins to soak up the liquid.
We'll have it with green veg and some tiny new potatoes. The rest (I'm guessing there'll be enough for another 2 or 3 meals for the two of us) will be put into tubs and frozen.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ilove slow cooked meals - they seem to have so much flavour.
ReplyDeletexx
Do you know what Sooze, I think I am going to use my food processor more after reading your posts. I never ever use it despite it being sat there which is silly because it's not harder to wash a bowl and a blade than a chopping board and a knife!
ReplyDelete