A busy day in the kitchen today - just as well as it's been foggy out since early this morning and shows no signs of clearing yet.
So far I've made:-
A loaf - well, the dough - wholemeal with added pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
Dog food - plain chicken and rice with parsley and ground ginger, I like to have 2 or 3 tubs of this in the freezer for the few occasions when Betty's got an upset tum - usually a sign that she's scavenged and eaten or drunk something she shouldn't.
Beetroot and hummus dip for lunch - cooked beetroot and rinsed drained tin of chickpeas, whizzed up in the processor. I've added 2 tsp horseradish sauce, big squirt of tomato puree, splash of lemon juice and tsp smoked paprika. We'll have it with carrot and cucumber sticks and baked wholemeal pitta fingers.
Just sat down for a coffee and to give my aching back a rest, then will continue with:-
The sweet potato and oat pizza base I mentioned yesterday. It's for dinner tonight, to be topped with roasted courgettes, red onion, tomatoes, mozzarella and halloumi, leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
A couple of lasagnes for the freezer - roasted butternut squash, mushroom, leek and tomato.
If I have time (and my back holds out), I'll make some spring rolls for the freezer, to take for lunches when we go out. Found a recipe for pea, feta and quinoa filling, I'll adapt it to use brown rice instead of quinoa, it appeals more. Will also add a few chopped cubes of chorizo. I'll bake the spring rolls instead of frying them.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That all sounds gorgeous - especially the dip. Mmmmm.
ReplyDeletexx
Do you know what quinoa tastes like? It looks, to me, as if I would feel that I had a mouth full of sand!
ReplyDeleteI bought steamed Beetroot the other week, expecting an earthy, rounded flavour only to find that they had also been pickled in a very sharp vinegar.
I hope you can rest your back, mine is making me hurt a great deal at present. Hugs! xx