Husband and I have both been suffering a bit health-wise lately, his arthritis is causing him a lot of pain, my joints are aching and I've had sinusitis and gut problems. A chance remark and then discussion with the doctor I saw in A&E last weekend (the one who recommended The Sleep Book to me, she really was very helpful) led me to understand that inflammation in the body can cause so many problems. Having done a fair bit of google research this past week, as recommended by the doctor, on what to eat/not eat for inflammatory conditions, it seems that a Mediterranean type diet is best. Which is fine by us.
So that means less red meat, gluten and wheat based products, simple carbs, high fat dairy and sugars (not that we have many sugary things anyhow). More vegetables and vegetarian based meals, fish, chicken, fruits (the lower sugar ones like berries), olive oil, lower fat dairy, whole grains, pulses. Such a lot of variety!
So having already done our meal plan for this week, today I'm redoing it to make it more Mediterranean. E.g., this morning we were going to have crumpets, fried eggs and bacon for breakfast, instead we're having my sourdough bread toasted, topped with avocado and bacon (having already got the bacon out of the freezer yesterday, it needs using). Dinner will be the belly pork slices I'd already got out of the freezer, but instead of roast potatoes and Yorkshires, we'll have a tray of roasted Mediterranean veggies, fortunately, I'd bought some yesterday.
We do like and eat a Mediterranean style diet occasionally, it lapses though after a while, especially during the winter. Hence our current health problems.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Almost snap, we are having roast pork with a tray of roasted peppers, fennel, onions and celery. I roast cauliflower and mushrooms in a separate dish as they do not take as long and will add a couple of apples, just cored.
ReplyDeleteWe had a large plate of Mediterranean veg with tortilla wraps last night. I love this kind of food and the fact that it is good for us is a bonus. In the cold weather though, I think we are more likely to crave carb-rich warming foods.....unfortunately!
ReplyDeleteThe Med 'diet' is supposed to be one of the healthiest out and I'll be interested in how you find it.
ReplyDeletexx
My joints are killing me. Because my hip hurts I'm walking funny and now my back has gone. It never rains but it pours does it?
ReplyDeleteI read about the med diet and it sounds good but I miss the other foods so much and can't keep it up all of the time.
I know I should lose weight but again its just not easy.
Moan, moan, moan, lol
Briony
x
We eat like this a lot of the time but the last couple of weeks have been drawn to higher card with the usual results. Weight gain for me and sluggishness for us both. I put keffir on my perridge in the morning to help my endlessly dodgy gut and it does seem to help. Good luck with the changes.
ReplyDeleteI think I like this new doctor. Obviously really listens and doesn't throw meds at you willy nilly.
ReplyDeleteSuch a shame about the crumpets! xx
ReplyDeleteI've been ' off plan' as far as eating goes for the last couple of weeks due to not having a fully functioning kitchen for that time. The result has been aching joints and weight gain, something I haven't had since my auto immune disorder went into remission a year ago.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to have my kitchen up and running - roasted veg will be the first thing I eat as it's my absolute favourite, served with some mackerel.
My B12 injection is also due, and my memory is absolutely shot this time ( usually I start stumbling/ falling but it's the memory this time) - I took 2 steps away from the builder the other day and completely forgot what he had just said to me!
I think I may have to look at my diet again and see if a Mediterranean one will ease my arthritis pain. We have slipped back into typical English food these past few months.
ReplyDelete