Healthy eating has fallen by the wayside a bit lately....not massively so, but we've been eating a few naughty things in between relatively healthy meals. That always happens when we're (well, I'm) stressed and feeling under pressure....the ongoing noisy building works next door and anxieties relating to car stuff have been causing problems. I made a coconut and jam sponge cake the other day - delicious but decidedly naughty, and we've been out for tea and scones a couple of times. Some chocolate may have slipped down our throats too.
Things are improving slightly though (although the car goes in for MOT tomorrow so that might change!), so healthy eating is back. Well, nearly - a mini cream tea out this morning, but that's the last one.
Pam mentioned on her blog having veggie pasta sauce done in the slow cooker, so that's what I've done today (thanks for the idea, Pam) - leek, courgette and aubergine in a bit of chicken stock, with some scraps of gammon left over from Sunday dinner thrown in. We'll have it with wholewheat pasta with a little grated Cheddar on top and a green veg on the side.
Tomorrow I'll do a chicken and veg stirfry, with one of those packets of microwavable rice - a mixture of brown, red and wild rice. We like those, they're in measured portions so you can't have too much, either by design or inadvertently.
Elise, thank you for your recommendation for the diabetes weight loss cookbook, it's not available in our local library but I can order it from another library, so that's what I shall do.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Sometimes when I cook pasta sauce in the slow cooker I make the sauce quite thin and then stir the pasta in for the last 30 minutes on high. You just have to keep an eye on it in case it needs more liquid. I do the same with chilli and curry, just allow more time for the rice to cook.
ReplyDeleteOoh yes, pasta cooked IN the cooking sauce rather than added to it at the very end is absolutely delicious.
DeleteGood idea sounds tastier,easier than usual way.
Delete