I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Wednesday, 19 June 2019

A weekend of cooking to provide future easy meals

We've had a lot going on in our lives recently, as well as my chronic tiredness, and one of the things I've been finding hard is cooking a meal from scratch every day.  Sometimes, even trying to think of what to have for lunch or dinner, if I haven't made a meal plan, is just so difficult when my brain is so foggy I can barely remember my own name.  We've very nearly run out of homecooked and frozen ready meals, so I need to get on and do some more.  

I've decided to do things slightly differently, just to make things even easier for myself for a while.  

The first thing I've done is an online shop, so we don't have to physically go and do it this week or next.  I've ordered a pork shoulder joint, for pulled pork in the slow cooker, a large pack of chicken thighs, couple of packs of high meat content sausages - all of these I'm going to cook over the weekend and then freeze them in portions.  I shall also roast a large tray of Mediterranean veg, make a load of tomato based pasta sauce and cook a panful each of wholewheat pasta and brown rice, all to be portioned up and frozen.  So that way I know that if (well, more likely to be when) I get up in the morning feeling like I really can't cook anything that day, or we're going to be out on hospital appointments, which can take several hours, I can just take some ready cooked meat, sauce, veg and carb out of the freezer ready to throw together later in the day.  

I'll hard boil some eggs and put in the fridge, we have plenty of tinned tuna and salmon and I've ordered ham, salad, coleslaw etc, so we'll have lots of options for lunches.  Breakfasts are easy, either toasted German rye bread, eggs cooked whichever way, or Greek yogurt and our own homegrown fruit - we have plenty of strawberries, raspberries and blackcurrants now.  So that should make life a bit easier, but still eating healthily. 

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant - that should take considerable weight off your shoulders in the weeks to come. Great plan!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!