I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Thursday, 13 June 2019

How I learnt to cook

Thank you for your kind words about my cooking.  It's funny, cooking (and certainly the varied type of healthy cooking I do nowadays) is a relatively new thing for me.

I didn't cook at home, nor did Mum ever really show us how to cook - she didn't like us in her kitchen when she was busy (nor do I, obviously get it from her).  When I lived in a bedsit before I met the husband, I rarely cooked there either - there was a McD's and a lovely bakery that did hot sausage rolls and breakfast baps right opposite the office I worked in.  So we had bacon & egg baps for breakfast (we took it in turns to do the breakfast run), a Mcdonalds for lunch, and a takeaway on the way home after coming out of the pub.  Not a vegetable in sight!  Unless you count the chips, or the bit of gherkin in the burger, or the lettuce and tomato in the kebab, which I generally binned anyway 😂

In our 20s and 30s, when husband and I were both working full time and leading very busy lives, we often had takeaways, or ready meals to 'cook' at home, or ate out in the pub at weekends.  Again, I hardly ever ate much veg, or actually cooked anything from scratch.  It wasn't until I started working part time, in my mid 40s, that I began to take an interest in cooking from scratch, and even baking bread.  

So cooking, proper cooking, is something I've only been doing for around 14 or 15 years.  As to where my ideas for creating meals, putting ingredients together, and looking at the contents of my larder and fridge/freezer and making a meal from what I've got come from - well, I can only say I read a lot and have always had an active imagination!  And I like experimenting 😀

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! You've made really good use of those last fourteen or fifteen years, haven't you, to get to where you are now. Maybe, because you don't have a long backgrounmd in cooking, you don't have set in stone expectations and that's why your ideas are so inventive and varied.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inventive , yes . I haven't heard anything that you have mentioned putting together that I wouldn't eat. Like I said, you have made my cooking more adventurous. It makes me want to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you have certainly turned into an innovative and inventive cook now!

    I started proper cooking when I was 19 and just married and loved it all; it only changed when I got to gether with D and he did and does all the cooking. I am trying to motivate myself more nowadays though, Diana Henry and Yotam Ottolenghi are my muses now! xx

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!