I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Monday, 2 September 2019

A healthy picnic

Thanks for your comments, the monster butternut squash will ripen over the next couple of weeks on the sunny windowsill.  We always grow these squashes every year, and towards the end of the season each year we have several which clearly won't ripen on the plants, due to the lack of prolonged sunshine and shortening days.  So we pick them all and put them in the utility room, leaving a couple of inches of stem otherwise they start to rot, they ripen up in due course.  Husband brought a smaller unripe one in 2 or 3 weeks ago, another one he'd accidentally knocked off (he's very clumsy, unfortunately), that's now ripened and we'll be eating it this week.

We need some time out so will be going to our favourite beach for a walk and a picnic lunch today, to make the most of a lovely day before the forecast not so good weather later in the week.  A couple of weeks ago I made some cheese & bacon topped bruschetta, using a ciabatta loaf that I bought reduced to pennies, I froze all the slices.  I'll take some of those (I'll have just 1 or 2) along with a tub of carrot, cucumber and sweet pepper sticks, some cooked chicken and a little pot of mayo for dipping.  We'll have one of our homegrown apples for dessert, and a flask of coffee.  Hopefully, most of the holidaymakers will have gone home, so the beach should be back to the usual calm and peaceful state.

2 comments:

  1. Did you enjoy it and was it wonderful? I can just see you there.

    Hugs and love. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. We too are looking forward to getting our beaches back to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!