I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Monday, 16 September 2019

Pickled green tomatoes, bacon moussaka

I was googling this morning looking for things to do with green tomatoes, of which we have loads.  I don't particularly want to make chutney as we don't eat much of it nowadays, and I still have several jars in the pantry cupboard from 1, 2 or even 3 years ago.  And sorry to American friends, but I'm not very keen on fried green tomatoes.  Or even fried red ones, come to that.  Well, I came across several recipes for pickled green tomatoes - simply sliced or quartered tomatoes preserved in a briny spiced vinegar, just like pickled onions or gherkins.  What a brilliant idea, they'd be lovely with cheese for a Ploughmans, or in a salad or sandwich.

So that's what I've done this morning.  Washed and thickly sliced a load of tomatoes and packed them into a large sterilised jar (an empty gherkin jar).  Used 2 cups white vinegar and 1 cup of water, heated in a saucepan to dissolve 4 tsp sugar, 3 tsp salt, 2 tsp black peppercorns, 1 each of yellow mustard seeds and black onion seeds.  Poured over the tomatoes right to the top of the jar, stretched over a cellophane cover and screwed on the lid.


Apparently they lose their bright green colour, but remain crisp, which is good.  They're ready after about a week and keep well in the fridge for up to 6 weeks, so I've read.  I guess you could add chillies or herbs to the pickling liquid, and put sliced onions in as well if you wanted.  I'm looking forward to trying them with cheese....I like pickled gherkins but not onions, they disagree with me.

I'm doing a sort of moussaka for dinner tonight, but using diced bacon instead of lamb - as I have no lamb but do have bacon cubes in the freezer.  On which note, must go and slice/grill the aubergine.  

6 comments:

  1. Oh, that's a VEREY good idea, thanks, SOoze. It looks as if I will have plenty of green tomatoes too and I agree that they really are not nice fried.
    Did you take off the skins?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't take the skins off, Joy. I'm assuming the skins will soften a bit in the briny vinegar. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pop your green tomatoes in a paper bag, add a red one and they will slowly ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look good, let us know when you have tasted them please. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did make chutney with mine as we like it, but I love the look of your pickled green tomatoes. I'm sure we will have some green ones left (just waiting to see if they ripen any more) so will be borrowing this idea

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!