I want to eat a bit more healthily this week, as we won't be next week!
Sunday we had a normal roast - chicken, stuffing, mixed roasted root veggies all done together in a big tray (potatoes, carrots, parsnips and onions), cabbage, peas and gravy. It was slightly less calorific than usual in that we didn't have Yorkshires and had less of the root veggies and more green veg. And no pudding.
Yesterday I did a sort of hash/bubble and squeak thing. 4 rashers of bacon left in the fridge from something I made towards the end of last week, a small chorizo sausage, an onion, an aubergine and half a punnet of mushrooms, all diced and fried together in a little olive oil. Served it with a dessertspoon of reduced fat sour cream and chive dip and some garlic bread - ok, not particularly low cal! But delicious.
For today we're having savoury mince with lots of veggies cooked in, I've just made it. A 500g pack of 5% fat steak mince from out of the freezer, bought some while back reduced to half price. Low fat steak mince tends to be a bit dry, obviously because of the low fat content, so to make it moist and juicy I've added a load of grated carrot and an aubergine diced up small, as well as onions and mushrooms, with some beef stock and Italian herbs. Then I had a brainwave - in the freezer I had a sachet of fresh peppercorn steak sauce. I defrosted the sachet in a jug of hot water and then stirred that into the mince. It smells and tastes wonderful. We'll have it with a little brown basmati rice and some long-stemmed broccoli. There'll be enough to freeze for another couple of meals.
I've been making a few things for the freezer - several dinners we've had recently I've made extra of deliberately to freeze, but have also made a load of Yorkshire puds this morning - a dozen individual ones and 2 large ones, they freeze beautifully and crisp up lovely straight from frozen in a couple of minutes. A week or so ago I made lots of mince pies and sausage rolls to freeze for the holiday period, yesterday it was ginger biscotti - the recipe made a lot so half of them have been frozen.
Tomorrow we'll have a carbonara, Thursday will be salmon chowder, Friday a crustless quiche.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It all sounds wonderful and I'm sure you will enjoy next week all the more for not letting it dribble into this week too.
ReplyDeletexx
Hi I don't know if this will help, but have you had a look at portion sized . 500g of mince will feed my husband and I 5 times. I take 100g add 2 tablespoons red lentils and veg. I make this into spaghetti Bolognese or shepherd's pie. If I add beans for chillies it will feed us twice. A way to feel you have eaten more is to have veg soup as a starter.
ReplyDeleteWe are very active health and are in our 70's.