The slightly relaxed diet weekend went quite well.....I did have some gut issues Saturday night which I'm fairly sure were down to Saturday's meals being a bit (well, very) carb heavy. Yesterday was better, we still had a higher than ideal carb day but not so much. Breakfast was cereal with warm milk, lunch 1 slice of homemade (we only ever have homemade now) grain toast with baked beans. Dinner was pork belly slices, slow roasted in a grainy mustard and sage gravy, with roasted carrots, parsnips and red onion, peas and a Yorkshire pud. Delicious.
Today I'm making spicy butternut squash soup for lunch, husband's working outside this morning and it's very cold, so he'll want something warming at lunchtime. Dinner will be Cumberland sausages on a bed of brown rice and things - I'll stir through some lentils, pumpkin seeds, chopped walnuts and chopped sundried tomatoes. We'll have it with some veg out of the freezer.
I've reduced our portion sizes by about a third, which is working quite well.
We're going to have to think about getting a bit of shopping soon....husband has run out of the sugar-free squash he drinks quite a lot of and hates drinking water, and I'm getting low on my coffee. Although we have quite a bit of root veg still and plenty of frozen veg, we have no fresh green veg left.....frozen is alright, but not particularly appetising unless I smother it in a sauce, and the texture of frozen green veg is always too soft.
I think this experiment is teaching me that we can manage quite happily on food stores we already have, with a bit of 'make do' mentality. We could still manage quite well without buying anything...it's more a case of wanting rather than needing. I'm also breaking my habit of going shopping every few days and ending up buying stuff just because I see it, rather than because we actually need it. Gemma's Person, no we went into the shop together, so I'm quite proud of myself for only buying the milk and nothing else! 😁
Didn't go out yesterday so nothing spent again, so the running total on Day 10 is £8.54 still. Considering we would normally spend probably around £50, sometimes more, during 2 or 3 shopping trips in one week, I'm very pleased with that.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
It's all going amazingly well for you, thanks to your good management and determination.
ReplyDeleteToday's food sounds absolutely scrmptious and I'm sure the soup will be just to thing to warm up the outside worker. Yes, it is chilly this morning!
xx
Yes, splendid .
ReplyDeleteThe food does ,as always, sound like a high end restuarant here in the U.S. Your imagination and palette serve you well.