Not blogged about our diet much lately as we've been so preoccupied with other stuff. In times past that would have meant full on comfort eating of carb-heavy stuff, resulting in feeling bloated, sick and achey. Not anymore though. Never thought I'd ever say this, but I'm actually really enjoying our new Med way of eating and don't really want to go back to stodgy stuff.
We eat all good healthy things Mon-Fri, but do relax it a bit at weekends. For instance, yesterday we had burgers for dinner (our first red meat in a fortnight or so), but they were homemade, not bought. I made them with butcher's minced beef with tomato puree, smoked paprika and salt & pepper, with a cube of French blue cheese hidden in the middle. I made spicy roasted sweet potato wedges to go with them, and a Greek-style salad with a homemade cider vinegar, olive oil, honey and lemon dressing. We had the rest of the salad for lunch today, with some goats cheese and a hunk of my sourdough bread to mop up the juices. For dinner tonight we're having roast pork with roast potatoes, French beans, carrots and peas. I would normally have done stuffing and Yorkshire puds to go with it, but that would just be extra unnecessary carbs, so we're not having them, we both agreed we didn't want them.
The leftover pork we'll have cold with another Greek-style salad with added beans of some kind tomorrow. I never used to like salad, of any kind (other than potato salad drenched in mayo or salad cream)....now I really enjoy it. As for dressings, I now prefer a mixed mayo/yogurt dressing with lemon juice, heavy on the yogurt, or a classic oil and vinegar one. Who knew!!
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
This all sounds absoluely delicious - a feast for the palate as well as for the health.
ReplyDeletexx
It helps a lot if you enjoy the food on a diet. Good to know that you are. xx
ReplyDeleteI'd love to be eating at your table every day. All sounds delicious!!
ReplyDelete