I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Wednesday, 8 May 2019

Avo & tuna toast, beef & veg chilli with cocoa

With all the building work next door continuing to get on my nerves, combined with ongoing insomnia, I fancied some comfort food today.  But healthy comfort food!

Husband had wholewheat cereal and a small sliced banana for his breakfast, I had Greek yogurt with a handful of almonds (I like them in their skins) and a few raisins.  It was delish.

For lunch I did avocado mashed with tuna and a bit of leftover cottage cheese, on top of my sourdough bread toasted, with sliced tomatoes.  I never used to like avo, now I absolutely love it.

For dinner I've made a huge pot of chilli, it's got as much veg in it as minced beef.  I used 3 large carrots, a big courgette and a massive leek from our garden (nearly at the end of last year's crop now, only about 8 or 9 left), I chopped them all up in the food processor.  The few remaining mushrooms from last week's carton, looking a bit limp now, plus a tin of chopped tomatoes and a tin each of kidney beans and baked beans.  A beef stock cube, big splash of Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar, shake of dried thyme and garlic salt, 2 tsp each of mild chilli powder and smoked paprika, big squirt of tomato puree.  I normally put 3 or 4 squares of dark chocolate in too but haven't got any, so I've used a dessertspoon of cocoa powder.  

We'll have it with wholewheat spaghetti (husband's request, he doesn't want rice), with his beloved broccoli on the side, and a sprinkle of grated mature Cheddar.  There'll be plenty of the chilli to freeze.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how are tastes for things change as we change our diet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's my kind of chilli. It sounds absolutely gorgeous.
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!