I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Saturday, 18 May 2019

Bacon & butterbean salad, Veggie dhal fakeaway

Husband likes (well, we both do) some kind of fakeaway on Saturday evenings, he especially likes Indian food so tonight I'm doing my interpretation of a sort of dhal (dahl? daal? dal?).

For lunch we'll have a bacon and butterbean salad - lean bacon medallions grilled and cut into pieces, mixed with a tin of drained and rinsed butterbeans, chopped tomatoes, cucumber and radishes, some crumbled feta and a simple mustardy dressing, consisting of EVOO, cider vinegar and Dijon mustard.  Will serve it on a bed of mixed leaves.

For the dhal I'm going to boil Puy lentils, then add some bulgur wheat towards the end of cooking, to soak up the remaining water.  I'll gently cook sliced onions and finely chopped carrot in oil until they're caramelised, then add in some curry spices and sliced mushrooms and fry off, before mixing it all in with the lentils/bulgur.  I have some leftover boiled potatoes in the fridge, will dice them up and cook them in a tablespoon of tikka masala paste to make sort of Bombay potatoes, to have on the side.  I might make some onion seed flatbreads, will see how I feel about that later.

4 comments:

  1. It all sounds totally scrummy!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what time is dinner? It all sounds just up my street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dahl ... I just tried typing that without thinking about it to see which spelling I use, there are SO many ... anyway that was mine.

    Your dinner sounds amazing, even if you don't bother with the onion seed flatbreads. I always cheat and have a standby pack of ready made poppadoms in the cupboard. One pack between two of you gives enough to have with the meal ... and some extras to snack on over the course of a Saturday night ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!