Thank you for the ginger suggestions, I froze it all in the end - why didn't I think of that?!
Pam, the Lidl veg boxes are apparently now in all of their stores....but you have to get there early to get one. They only do them first thing in the morning, for 2 or 3 hours or until they're gone. Any left over (doubtful) after this time are apparently sent to a charity. In our store, which opens at 08.00, they're usually gone by about 09.30. They have them right at the front of the store, by the checkouts....you're not supposed to pick one up until you're at the checkout - I understand why they do that, but it's downright inconvenient. I ignore that and go straight to them when we get in the store, choose one (they all have different stuff in them) and put it in my trolley - I can't make a decision about what veg/fruit to buy until I've seen what's in the box. You do have to be prepared to be viewed with suspicion by the staff, though - they clearly think you're going to add extra veg to the box so you don't have to pay for it, or swap out any limp/bruised veg for better looking stuff. Well sunshine, we're not all thieving chancers (I mean, do I look like one?!) so I choose to ignore their suspicions. Just to make it obvious I'm not stealing any other veg, I put other shopping (like kitchen towel, toiletries etc) on top of the box and make sure any other veg and fruit I pick is at the other end of the trolley.
As mentioned, husband has been diagnosed as borderline diabetic and we saw a new diabetes nurse last week. She's very nice and enthusiastic and encouraging, but very evangelical and gung ho about diet. She advocates a NO CARB diet (well, other than carbs in veg and fruit) - she recommended giving up bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and other root veg, pulses, and having black coffee and tea. Really?! Husband and I discussed it and decided that it was all a step - well, several actually - too far. He was actually quite worried about it, it sounded like complete deprivation to him, he'd never be able to do it. Nor would I, come to that. I don't really agree with exclusion diets - yes of course they work, but they're not sustainable for any length of time and could even be dangerous. We need carbs for energy and to protect our muscles - if we don't eat enough carbs for our body's energy needs, then the body will use up protein instead, but protein is needed for our muscles (can you tell I've been reading up on it lol).
So we've decided we won't do a no carb thing, but will carry on with LOW carb, just choosing healthier carbs - wholewheat or wholegrain pasta, rice and bread (we do that anyway). We'll continue to eat potatoes and other root veg and pulses, just smaller quantities. I did completely agree with the nurse on one thing, though - it's not fat that's the enemy, it's sugar. For the first time in about 40 years, the NHS are apparently actually changing their diet recommendations, to reflect evidence that sugar makes you obese, not fat. Although I dare say too much fat will also make you fat.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
It's balance really, isn't it? What that looks like is different for each individual. No carb at all sounds very severe and, for me, it would create a backlash after a short time. Not to mention constipation!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the Lidl box info - it does sounds like a very good scheme.
xx
Lidl box sounds great. Will definitely look out for those. My hubby is currently on an NHS course for pre diabetes and the nurse is saying a few tweaks to your diet is all that’s needed. She is saying full fat everything is good and cut your carbs down a bit. She praises the Med diet too. Carol
ReplyDeleteAfter reading what best to eat for my arthritis, I like you decided to do my own thing. recommended was...no white flour, no sugar, no tea, coffee, a lot of soft fruit is also bad, not too much meat, no sweets or chocolate, biscuits, cake etc. I think I'll go into a Monastery, lol
ReplyDeleteThe whole keep fit thing is going too far and the people who dictate are usually like sticks and have nothing wrong with them.
As you have mentioned, it's the sugar now that is the enemy whereas once it was the fats. I can go back and remember all sorts of foods being bad for you and then they change their minds. Do what you want to do in moderation, that's my way now.
Briony
x
I have lived on a low fat diet since I was 19 for health reasons, we started looking at sugar content a few years ago, and it's in everything, also mindful of salt content. We try to stick to a low carb's, but using a mix of healthy eating.
ReplyDeleteIf you get the chance to read the Diabetes Weight Loss cookbook by Giancarlo Caldessi, it has a section at the front written by a doctor who gives a startlingly good explanation for the very low crb approach in tackling diabetes. It's really thought provoking. Personally I'm with you on taking a more lenient line on putting it into practice, but do have a look at it if you're able (might get it at the library) because it has some really good advice.
ReplyDelete