Shopping first thing this morning, went early to Lidl so we could get another of their excellent value veg boxes. Unfortunately, though, we didn't get one.....they had 5 left (I don't know how many they have to start off with, we got there at 08.30, they open at 08.00). All of the boxes were full of mainly fruit - lots of apples, loads of bananas, 2 cartons of strawberries per box, grapes and oranges, with only a couple of veg items in each box, either aubergines, iceberg lettuce or broccoli. We eat hardly any fruit now, certainly not bananas or grapes, except on very rare occasions, as we're both diabetic and they're two of the highest sugar fruits. So a box full of fruit and very little veg is no use to us, sadly. Still extremely good value though if you were wanting a lot of fruit.
Some of their fresh stuff that's on today's date they reduce to 20p - I got 2 x 400g packs of cooked sliced chicken, I've split them up into portions and frozen them, they'll be good for pasta or rice dishes or pizza toppings, or a treat for Betty. Bargain, and a pack of 4 corn on the cobs, also down to 20p. Also got a fresh chicken which was 30% off as it's today's date, that's also gone in the freezer. Bought a 1.3kg gammon joint, that'll be for Sunday lunch and leftovers for several more meals, always good value. Some Cumberland sausages reduced to 99p, that'll be our treat dinner for tomorrow night (we hardly ever eat sausages anymore, for health reasons, but I do like a good banger!).
Today for lunch we're about to have a cheese & ham omelette, with salad. For dinner tonight I'm going to do fried rice with lots of veggies, topped with a white fish fillet pan fried with lemon and herbs.
That was an excellent shop!
ReplyDeletexx