I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Sunday, 1 September 2019

A monster butternut squash

Huh, typed a post complete with photos and it suddenly completely vanished before I'd finished it!  No doubt I did something by mistake.

Anyway, husband brought in a massive butternut squash yesterday, it wasn't ripe but he'd accidentally snapped it off so had to bring it in, it's on a sunny windowsill.  It's the biggest one I've ever seen....the orange (a normal size orange, not a satsuma) is there for comparison purposes, it dwarfs our kettle:-


And here it is being weighed:-


The display on my scales is a bit faint, but it shows a weight of 4.27kg or 9lbs 6oz!  How I'm going to cook the monster yet I haven't decided, but it will certainly do us for several meals.  We like it cubed and simply roasted with smoked paprika, or in a risotto with bacon and sage.  There's soup, of course, we especially like it with blue cheese in, or a curried version.  And oh yes, butternut squash curry is delicious.  Or I just boil and mash it sometimes, with some herbs, as an alternative cottage/fish pie topping.

And we have loads more of these squashes to come yet, a few of which will be just as big.  It's a good job they store well, they'll keep us going all through winter.

4 comments:

  1. I'd check the flavor before I cooked it all. Sometimes if they aren't ripe it isn't as good. A monster indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It most certainly is a biggie. It may ripen a bit on the shelf, so to speak.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they seem to keep a long time don't they, I love it chopped into chunks ans roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a tiny Pattypan squash here I doubt I shall cook it though, the last one I had was a waste of time, energy and money since it tasted of nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!