Gemma's Person, we haven't tried the pickled green toms yet, I'm waiting a few more days before we do. We'll have them with cheese or ham as a Ploughmans (that's a cold plate of cheese or cold meats with pickles, salad and crusty bread, a popular pub lunch in this country) or in a cheese sandwich.
We went to a farmers market this morning.....we have been before, but a long time ago. I was hoping to get a half sack (12.5kg) of maincrop potatoes and a sack (10kg or so) of onions. We've given up trying to grow maincrop spuds, in our soil they get badly eaten by eelworm and slugs so it's just not worth it really. The onions we started off this year all bolted and went to seed, we lost virtually all of them. The market had only pickling onions, no big ones in sacks. They had potatoes, but only in full 25kg sacks, too many for us, we'd never get through them all before they went off. And the stallholder wanted £9 a bag! We did get some nice cheeses though, a 350g block of extra mature Cheddar, another the same size of Double Gloucester with chives, and 450g of Jarlsberg, all three for £5 - bargain.
Across the road from the farmers market is a family run plant nursery which has been there for years, we often buy plants there, they're good quality and very cheap. They also have a small shop selling fruit and veg, so we decided to have a look in there. Success - exactly the same variety of potatoes as the market, but only £6.50 for a full sack, or £3 for a half sack. They also had 25kg sacks of onions but were more than happy to split a bag and sell us 10kg of them, which was kind of them.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Nice of the market vendor to split things up for you.
ReplyDeleteCheeses wonderful.
I love a farmers market but always end up spending a fortune !
ReplyDeleteI love going to a market, I picked up a 25kg bag of onions for £5 this week.
ReplyDeleteVery nice of them to split the bag - sensible too. Half a sale is much better than no sale at all.
ReplyDeletexx
I just found this blog, Sooze, another good one! I love going to a farmers market but rarely get the chance as they tend to be on at weekends and G works every single one of them. The cheese sounds a great buy as well as the potatoes and onions.
ReplyDelete