Sorry for the lack of food posts recently....we have of course been eating, I just haven't had time to write about it.
I've had a mammoth cooking morning. My usual weekly sourdough made as soon as I got up, the dough's proving very well today, sometimes it takes all day but this one will be ready to go in the oven in an hour or so. Husband's made a wholegrain loaf for himself, that's just waiting to go in the oven as soon as the other things I've made are out.
We're having chilli tonight, previously made and out of the freezer. To accompany it I've made cornbread - a different recipe to the one I usually use, this one has actual corn in it rather than just cornmeal. I've also made a large plate pasty - easier and quicker than making 6 individual ones, I'll just cut it into 6 when cooked and freeze each portion individually wrapped.
Husband was practically begging for a pudding - we hardly ever have puddings, he has fruit yogurts occasionally or, rarely, some stewed fruit with custard. So, as he's done so well this week with building the patio (not yet finished, but it's quite a large area), I've made him a blueberry and apple sponge, using our own home grown blueberries from last year - there are still 2 or 3 bags of them in the freezer.
And now I'm going to sit for the rest of the day with my microwave hottie on my poor aching back, and make lists for our holiday.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What do you fill your pasty with ? I use coarse ground beef, potato carrot onion rutabaga if I have one or turnip otherwise.
ReplyDeleteExactly that, GP! I didn't have any swede - what we call rutabaga - this time though, so just left it out. I've never used turnip in them, not keen. I did put a few frozen peas in, a squirt of tomato puree and a crumbled beef stock cube.
DeleteI love making holiday lists. For me,m it is part for the whole experience and makes a lovely week last longer in anticipation.
ReplyDeleteI'm just really sorry that your back was so painful. xxx