Oops, it's been a fortnight almost since I posted a food blog. We've been away on hols of course, we did take most of our food with us, it was mostly healthy and Mediterranean related, but we did relax it a bit too. However, now we're home and back to eating healthily.
Went shopping yesterday, stuck mainly to my list but did buy a couple of things that were on YS and too good to leave behind. An olive sourdough bloomer, a ball of mozzarella, some quality smoked dry cure bacon and a pack of 6 chicken legs, all reduced to half price. Not sure why, as we went in the morning and they don't normally reduce things to half price until later in the day - not that I was complaining. The bread was a bit on the stale side, but as it was a flat loaf I decided to use it as the base for a pizza for dinner last night. I topped it with chopped canned tomatoes mixed with tomato puree and dried basil, then a layer of sliced mushrooms and red onion. Some of the dry cure bacon on top of that, finished off with bits of blue and goats cheese we'd brought back from hol with us, and a reduced price ball of mozzarella. Had it with a green salad. The pizza was really nice, I couldn't finish all of mine but husband finished it off as well as his own, despite not feeling well! I always know when he's feeling REALLY unwell, as it's the only time he's off his food.
I cooked 3 of the chicken legs when the oven was on for the pizza, the other 3 I froze. The dog is having one of the legs for her dinner (taken off the bone and chopped, of course). I've made chicken, veg and barley soup for lunch, using one of the legs, with the other I'm making a curry for dinner, with chickpeas, mushrooms, chopped apricots, coconut milk and the last of a jar of tikka paste in the fridge. Amazing how far you can stretch meat when you add lots of veg, grains and pulses to it.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It all sounds totally delicious - well done!
ReplyDeletexx
Way to stretch the meat.
ReplyDelete