Went to get the dried split peas out last night - none left in the cupboard, so I made lentil and ham soup for lunch today instead. I fried a couple of sliced leeks and a diced sweet potato in olive oil first. Added the gammon stock, red lentils, lots of sage and black pepper and a squirt of tomato puree. Had it with toasted wholemeal pitta croutons, plenty left for tomorrow. Ironically, it's not been soup weather today after all....after some initial rain when we got up, it's been sunny ever since, although somewhat windy.
For dinner tonight we had scallops and king prawns, with leeks (again, good job we like them!) and mushrooms. I fried the leeks and mushrooms first, then added one of those microwavable pouches of rice and grains - a mixture of brown and wild rice with pearl barley, red and golden quinoa. In a separate pan I quickly flash fried the scallops and prawns, then served them on top of the rice mixture, with a splash of sweet chilli sauce and lime juice.
Now, I love prawns and would happily eat them several times a week, scallops (which I think we've only had once before, several years ago) I assumed I'd like too. Nope - odd as it might sound, they're just too 'seafoody' for my liking. Some things you like, some you don't.
Bit of a fishy week....tomorrow we're having roasted veggies with monkfish - we've not had that before so I hope I like it!
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
I don't think I have ever had scallops and I'ver never been that keen to try them. I'm not a seafood (i.e. shellfish) fan although I like prawns.
ReplyDeleteYour meals sound so creative though, really lovely.
xx
I am always impressed with what you put together and it all sounds yummy.
ReplyDeleteI'll have your Scallops - I adore them. Monkfish is very 'meaty' are you going to roast that too? Rick Stein does it nicely:
ReplyDeletehttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/8637397/Rick-Steins-roasted-monkfish-with-crushed-potatoes-olive-oil-and-watercress-recipe.html
xx
I like scallops but not enough to pay through the nose for them. There is sunshine here as well, mixed in with rain and hail. The heating is back on, we have gone from Phew! to Brrrrr.
ReplyDeleteI saw in a later post that the scallops were bought on 'on date' so perhaps they were a day or two passed their best? They should taste sweetly fishy not strongly of seafood
ReplyDelete