We have garden produce coming thick and fast now, needing harvesting every day - loads and loads of French beans, both green and purple (why do they turn green when cooked?), 3 types of courgettes, carrots, salad leaves, cucumbers, baby corn. There are still 4 bags of new potatoes left to dig up, and masses of tomatoes but they're still green. Late summer/autumn raspberries, and the eating and cooking apples are ready too, the pears will soon be ripe. Our butternut squashes have done incredibly well this year.....not quite ripe yet, but there are masses of them, enough to last through the winter, and some of them are absolutely huge, one will easily do us for 4 meals I should think. It's great having all this produce, and saves us a lot of money, but it's a lot of work at this time of year....every day I'm having to process all this stuff, and there are times when I groan when husband comes in from the garden with yet another trugful. I shouldn't moan really, I'd be a bit annoyed if we didn't have it all.
I've found that slicing and lightly frying the courgettes in olive oil, then spreading them out on parchment lined baking trays before boxing up is the best way to freeze them. Carrots I chop up in my processor, I don't bother blanching them before freezing in plastic boxes, they're fine to defrost and use as they are in stews or mince. The French beans I do blanch first, one year I tried not blanching them before freezing but they didn't taste very good when defrosted and cooked.
This is the first year we've grown baby corn....funnily enough Sue in Suffolk mentioned them this morning, a first time for her too, she said hers are ready and in fact possibly a bit too big. Thanks Sue, I told husband to have a look at ours and he confirmed they're ready, he brought a load in so we'll be having them in a pork stir fry tomorrow.
We're having salads for lunch most days, I grate raw courgette and carrot to have as well, we had tuna with a sprinkle of grated Cheddar today. For dinner we've just had Asian pork burgers (a bargain 50p for the two, reduced late in the afternoon when I went shopping the other day), with our own new potatoes and French beans and coleslaw made with our own carrots and chives with a bought cabbage. Husband followed his with a slice of Somerset apple cake made with our own apples - I'm cutting down on carbs so resisted the temptation.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds lovely, lots of good healthy stuff, I am being really good in the week now and cutting down on carbs, husband has his and I just have extra veg or extra salad, and if I do have some just a smaller portion.x
ReplyDeleteWHat a delicious blog entry. I love my little patrch but you put it to shame with all your wonderful produce. Freezers certainly are a great thing.
ReplyDeleteI might try baby corn next year in containers. They need to be fairly close and in groups so, given enough watering, it should work. They do taste so good.
I was so disapponted the first time I cooked purple beans - I felt cheated! :-)
xx