TA, I'm glad your quiche turned out to be excellent....as for cheese, we can never have too much cheese in/on something ;-)
My fan oven also has hot spots! Ridiculous, isn't it.
Eloise, keeping food shop money in a separate purse is such a good idea, isn't it - I shall try to always do it from now on.
For those who have a Lidl nearby - you may know that every weekend they have a couple of items on very good special offers. Some offers are brilliant, others aren't things that I would normally buy so of course I don't get them then - it's only a bargain if it's something I would use anyway. This weekend they have a fabulous offer - extra mature Cheddar in 830g blocks, on offer at £2.39. That works out at £2.88 a kilo! (it said so on their website, I'm not a maths wizard lol). We had a few things to get in town this morning, so popped into Lidl and got 4 blocks of cheese....so under a tenner for nearly 3 1/2 kilos of extra mature Cheddar, fantastic saving. I shall grate it all and put it in plastic tubs in the freezer.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Fantastic price, Lidl is a bit out of our way, but if we have to go up that end of town I will always pop in.
ReplyDeleteThat is a true bargain! Today's adventure in cheese will be braised leeks covered in a classic Mornay (cheese) sauce using AOC Gruyere cheese, more than I used for the quiche.
ReplyDeleteI am also going to bake a small patty pan squash with shallots, garlic, Thyme and oil, I might also put in some Aleppo pepper flakes, they are more aromatic than hot. That is a first for me, not having liked squashe for many years.
Good heavens - that is a lot of cheese. Trouble is .....I'd eat it!! Reminds me of my mother when I used to ask if we could have 'Butter puffs' instead of cream crackers and she would say, "You'll only eat them"! She'd have moaned if they were left uneaten too. Ready grated cheese is so useful.
ReplyDelete