I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Monday, 5 August 2019

Cheese & tomato salad, smoked cod

It's been over a month since I last posted here, too much going on means all too often healthy eating goes out the window, replaced by comfort eating.  And then I have gut issues and aching joints and realise I must get back to making us proper healthy meals.  With all that's going on in our lives right now, food is pretty much the only thing I have control over.

Finances are tight, as always since last year, so I've decided to have a low spend August, I've taken a sum out of the bank for food shopping and put it in a separate purse, and that will be all I can spend for August.  It's not a vast amount, but will be doable because we have a well-stocked freezer and larder, and plenty of veg and fruit in the garden.  Shame we don't have a cow, pig, couple of sheep and some chickens, along with a river full of salmon, but we can't have everything!  I do have 2 or 3 packs of beef mince, quite a lot of pork and chicken, a bag of salmon fillets and some smoked salmon, about 6 packs of bacon and couple of packs of sausages in the freezer, along with lots of tins of tuna, salmon and mackerel, so meat and fish isn't a problem anyway.

For lunch today we're having mozzarella, feta, tomato and cucumber salad, it's all marinating in a balsamic and olive oil dressing.  The cucumber is homegrown, the tomatoes aren't, ours aren't ready yet.  We'll have homegrown radishes with it, we're growing French Breakfast which are lovely, hot and peppery (wonder why they're called that, I wouldn't particularly want them for breakfast).   Husband will have a slice of his homemade seeded bread, I'm staying off bread for a few days.

Dinner will be smoked cod in a fresh white wine and cream sauce I bought reduced to 15p and froze the other day.  Yesterday I did a big tray of roasted summer vegetables to have with roast pork belly slices, there's half the veg left to go with the cod, along with some freshly podded peas....bought sadly, ours have come to nothing.


3 comments:

  1. Yummy sounding as usual your meals are always interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed reading this post but - I need a favour, please, my love - I want to make a crustless quiche but I don't know how long to put it in the oven for or at what temperature, (fan oven) please help? I will be using two eggs and cooking them in a soup plate (you know what that is don't you?) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My food shopping money is always in a purse of its own. It helps rein in my spending.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!