We've been having too many carby things for breakfasts and lunches recently, getting into bad habits again, so we need to break that habit.
At the family wedding we went to last week, the food was gorgeous....a hog roast - enormous heated tray full of delicious pulled pork and stuffing, apple sauce on the side, rolls, new potatoes, and 4 kinds of salads, including Greek, a pasta salad, a simple garden salad and one with avocado and orange. Eating them made me realise how much I've missed having salads for lunches (there's something I never thought I'd ever say!). And I do love smashed avocado with a poached egg on sourdough for breakfast, and that's better for me than cereal of any kind.
There's no excuse for not having salads really, we have plenty of veg suitable for salads in the garden now. I guess it's down to laziness and convenience - so easy to just have cheese or beans on toast, or a sandwich.
One simple lunch we have had a couple of times in the past couple of weeks, and it's delicious. Fresh picked courgettes (we're growing 3 different kinds, yellow, plain green and striped green), sliced and gently fried in olive oil with plenty of black pepper, served on toasted sourdough with a sprinkle of grated mature Cheddar.
Need to go shopping tomorrow, the fridge is looking bare, so I'll do a freezer inventory and meal plan today.
Tonight we're having fish pie - a previously made and frozen one, it's topped with sweet potato mash. We'll have it with homegrown French beans and courgettes.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
I think you've had so much on your mind recently that food planning has taked second place to other things. It's hardly surprising really. Today's menu sounds lovely!
ReplyDeletexx
I love a salad, but last night I made a double batch of mince and dumplings, really fancied it.
ReplyDelete