I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Tuesday, 29 January 2019

A freezer food week and Minced Beef Cobbler

My main food focus this week is making inroads into the freezer stuff.  Yesterday's bubble & squeak used up leftover veg from Sunday dinner, along with various bits of cooked veg I'd saved up in bags in the freezer.  We'll be having beef mince on 2 days, a previously made quiche (should have labelled it, I can't remember what I put in it), chicken pasta bake, diced beef and sliced turkey, both left over from Christmas.  I'm also going to use quite a bit of frozen shop bought veggies, along with fresh veg.

I want to have a baking day soon, making a couple of loaves of bread, some cakes and some savoury things, sausage rolls, cheese scones and the like, to put in the freezer, so I need the space.  But the big upright freezer in the utility room needs defrosting before I put anything else into it, hence the need to use up as much as I can of what's in it.  

Minced beef cobbler for dinner tonight, that's savoury mince with lots of frozen veggies added, with homemade cheese scones (you Americans call them biscuits, I believe) on the top.  Funny how food names vary in different countries....biscuits are something entirely different here in the UK, I guess you call them cookies - flat crunchy (sometimes soft and chewy) baked things you (well, we!  you might not) dunk in your cup of tea.

Gemma's Person, you asked about baked beans - yes, they're out of a tin, I think they're haricot beans here, in a thick tomatoey flavoured sauce.  I do make my own sometimes, using dried beans, chopped canned tomatoes or passata, tomato puree, brown sugar, onions and spices, I make it in the slow cooker.  

6 comments:

  1. It's all too easy to fill; the freezer and not use what's in, I think. Out of sight seems out of mind.
    If Brexit is a problem, I have enough for months!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like you are going to be very busy with your baking day. I keep thinking about doing mince and dumplings, but perhaps I should do a cobbler instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm veggie so am thinking of doing a veggie cobbler, vegs in cheese sauce with cheese scones on top but as it's just me, I'd need to freeze the leftovers. Have you ever done this, and if so, how do you reheat it so that the scones don't burn? In the microwave? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are keeping our cupboards and freezer well stocked. I don't think we will have problems with food in April after brexit, but the scaremongering on TV will start panic buying, and I would rather avoid that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we needed to defrost our big freezer, we lined the bath with a blanket, put all the food in there and then covered with an old duvet. Keeps everything frozen for ages to allow you to defrost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad I've found you again, thanks for that tip Dc I've got a freezer that needs defrosting and I usually do it in winter when it's cold, but we've had a mild winter. I've reheated cobbler by covering with tin foil xx

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!