I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Monday, 21 January 2019

Dog food, breakfast muffins, fish pie

Monday 21 January

New blog - this will be to do with food (growing, buying and cooking) only, for a few good reasons I shan't be disclosing any other aspect of our lives.

Husband made 2 loaves first thing this morning - a part rye/part white one for us, and the white soda bread for the elderly neighbour with health issues.  He's become quite adept at bread making now and no longer needs me telling him what to do.  He does well at it, except for the shaping part....his loaves often look quite 'rustic', shall we say, but taste perfectly fine!

I made 2 trays of food for Betty first thing.  It's cooked mashed sweet potato, cauliflower, bit of leftover broccoli, a mashed banana, 2 eggs, minced raw chicken, a shake of garlic granules and oregano, and couple of tbsp. brown flour to bind.  Ratio is about 50% chicken (or tuna/sardines when I make a fishy one).  Mixed well then spread out on two greased trays, to a depth of about 2 cm, then baked until set and brown.  Cut into cubes when cooled then frozen in portion size tubs....each tray makes about 4 portions for our medium height, chunky and muscly dog.  She loves it, licks her plate clean.

I don't want to eat carbs - toast or cereal - for breakfast every day, so I made breakfast muffins today.  I grated a large courgette and about the same quantity (by volume) of Cheddar, mixed with 6 beaten eggs and about a dessertspoonful of Italian herb & seasoning mix.  Filled 12-cup muffin tray and baked.  I have 2 of these for breakfast, they taste very nice cold or warm.  I sometimes use grated carrot instead of courgette, or chopped mushrooms, or bacon bits.  Crumbled feta or a bit of blue cheese or snipped sun dried tomatoes are a nice addition too.  They keep well in the fridge for a few days, or I freeze them.

Fish pie for dinner tonight - Cod and some smoked salmon trimmings, with mushrooms and sliced leeks, in a homemade cheese sauce (husband's not keen on parsley sauce).  Topped with sweet potatoes cut into small dice, with a sprinkling of wholemeal breadcrumbs and grated cheese for a bit of crunch.  Served with peas and sweetcorn.

12 comments:

  1. I rather like 'rustic' loaves. I could murder some rustic bread with butter and some flavoursome cheese! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joy, homemade bread with proper butter and cheese is one of life's simple but great pleasures!

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to reading your new blog Sue, I absolutely love anything to do with food and cooking, something which I am really into. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, here goes comment number 2.
    Great muffins idea, will try it.
    Even Betty's food sounds yummy. :)
    Good for your new blog...love reading your straightforward/ no nonsense writings .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B, I don't believe in pussy-footing around! I say what I feel.

      Delete
  4. Flour in the muffins ? or something like it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No flour in the muffins...muffins is a bit of a misnomer actually, they're more like mini frittatas or crustless quiches, if you like.

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of your breakfast things but you know how I feel about courgettes...
    Also, I hate grating things, even with one of those metal contraptions and I don't own a real food processor. There would be no room for me in the kitchen if I had one!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!