A butty, for overseas readers, is a filled bread roll or sandwich. We like MaccyD's filet o fish, but rarely buy them, cheaper to make our own. So this is what we're having for lunch today - a wholemeal seeded roll filled with grilled fish fingers, slice of Swiss cheese, mayo and salad leaves, with sliced gherkins on the side (they tend to fall out if you put them in the butty, which is pretty messy to eat anyway).
Risotto - we have risottos quite often, we really like them, and it's a good way of using up leftover veg or meat. As for the rice....I don't use proper risotto rice, just ordinary bog-standard brown rice. Sacrilege, I know. And using ordinary rice means you don't get the soft creamy stickiness you have with proper risotto rice. But we don't care, we still like it anyway. The reason I don't use risotto rice is partly cost - it tends to be dearer than ordinary rice - and partly because risotto rice generally is white. As a diabetic, white carbs aren't good for me at all so I have brown by preference. You can get brown risotto rice, but not generally in the shops (none of our local supermarkets stock it, nor does the health food store in the town) so have to order it online and it's a lot more expensive. So brown ordinary rice it is. I have a big 3kg bag of brown basmati which I bought cheaply from Approved Foods some while ago (Approved Foods is an online retailer of short- or out-of-date dried, tinned or packet foods), but today am using brown easy cook rice, slightly shorter grained, which one of the supermarkets had on offer a few weeks back.
Marlene S mentioned a Brussels sprout and cheese risotto she made from a Miguel Barclay book, he used Stilton but Marlene's family aren't keen on it so used goats cheese instead. We do like blue cheese - I haven't got Stilton but do have a pack of Dolcelatte I picked up yesterday on a yellow sticker. As a soft cheese, it needs to be used quickly, so that's going in the risotto. I'll also use sprouts (of course), one of our homegrown leeks, some mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes (there's a half full jar in the fridge that I keep forgetting about, hope there's no mould!) and some cider as the stock - we have a couple of bottles in the utility room bought when we had friends round ages ago that have been there ever since...the cider that is, not the friends! Garlic bread from the freezer (still trying to make inroads into the freezer stuff). I'll try to remember to take photos later.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I haven't used approved foods for a while, you have to be careful with it as sometimes it has a lot of rubbish on there, but very good for buying rice, flour, bulk ingredients etc sometimes, I am using up the stores so I'd better not look for a while. I dried brown rice not so long ago and no one really liked it, Dolcelatte is one of my favourite cheeses. I hope you enjoy the risotto.
ReplyDeleteI love fish finger sarnies. SO delicious.
ReplyDeleteWHen I use ordinary rice instead of risotto rice (almost all the time), I call it 'savoury rice'. Same thing, different rice really!
Looking forward to the photos.
xx
Love brown rice and agree better than risotto
ReplyDeleteFishfinger sandwiches, that's proper comfort food, yum. I used to have them when I was a child, the fishfinger rolled in a slice of bread with tomato ketchup.
ReplyDeleteMy husband laughs when I refer to sandwiches as butties. He thinks I"m pretty weird when I tell him we put fries (chips) or chips (crisps) on bread. I have an aunt in England that made everything into butties, including peas!!
ReplyDeleteI just laughed out loud about having the friends in the back room since last time they visited.
ReplyDeleteThey might be moldy as well.
On reading the comments here, my lovely, I am reminded that in 1950 or thereabouts, I always deemed it a treat to have tomato ketchup or condensed milk as a sandwich filling whilst my neighbour felt the same about sugar sandwiches. Different eras!
ReplyDelete