Thank you for comments, as always, I've answered them. I'm bad at replying to comments, I know....I have a little run of answering and then not so much. I will always try to answer any queries in a blog post, if not the actual comment - give me a prod if I don't! Welcome to some more new followers too, it's lovely to have readers of my previous blog, plus some new ones.
Well, the mystery quiche turned out to be roasted squash, blue cheese and sage, delicious. We're having the other half for lunch today, must remember to get it out of the fridge before we go shopping, I like it cold but room temperature, not fridge cold. Think we'll have a mug of soup (bought one, there's a few in the cupboard) with it, we'll be cold when we get back as it's not going to get much above freezing today, apparently, with a very cold wind. Snow is forecast for late this afternoon/early evening, it doesn't look like it'll be a lot though and there's no more forecast for tomorrow.
Dinner tonight will be the rest of the savoury mince I made a couple of days ago. Incidentally, I was going to make a cheesy cobbler topping but husband decided he'd like dumplings, so I made cheesy dumplings instead. Made double quantity and froze the extras, I'll probably make a tomato and lentil soup to have them with, it's definitely soup weather at the mo. I'll do Yorkshire puds to go with the mince tonight.
I have some apples to use up, haven't decided what to do with them yet. Went to a garden centre the other day, they were selling bags of about a dozen Cox's apples, which are my favourite. Should have known better, really, I like them when they're first ready to harvest, when they're very crisp, sharp and juicy....these ones have clearly been stored for a few weeks and they're no longer sharp or crisp, very disappointing. I expect I'll put them in a cake.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Coxes can go woolly after a while. I bought some Braeburns a fortnight ago, which I normally love, but these were tasteless. Very disappointing.
ReplyDeleteApple cake sounds a good idea.
xx
Little turnovers with apple filling sounds good to me...just use your pie crust recipe.
ReplyDeleteYour food always sounds so comforting and delicious, you have me drooling again! I love a giant filled yorkshire, I am planning on doing some soon.
ReplyDeleteI do love a slice of apple cake! Anything with minced beef - not so much...
ReplyDeleteBlue cheese with sage sounds wonderful; I have to try that combination, but I can't stand squash. Think I'll try it with some potato
ReplyDelete