I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Thursday, 7 February 2019

Chicken & roasted veg, Jacket spuds, beans and mystery rissoles

Yesterday I did a tray of roasted Mediterranean veggies...red and yellow peppers, courgette, aubergine, mushrooms and our last home grown butternut squash.  I added 2 sliced chicken fillets and tossed it all with Cajun seasoning, olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  When it was nearly cooked, I crumbled over some feta cheese.  We had it with some roasted Kalettes….have you seen them?  They're like mini kale-type cabbages, I suppose, or Brussels sprouts that have blown and not formed hearts, Lidl sell them, other supermarkets probably do.  I don't actually like kale (or most dark green veggies, come to that), but husband fancied trying them (he'll eat anything).  As the oven was on, and we like roasted sprouts anyway, I put them on a tray, sprayed with oil and roasted them - they do very quickly.  They are, surprisingly, delicious.

Today we're having an easy meal - jacket potatoes with baked beans and grated cheese, plus some homemade rissoles I found in the freezer.  They're just labelled rissoles, I do have a vague memory of making them weeks and weeks ago, but cannot for the life of me remember how I made them or, rather, what's in them.  I hope they're nice!

While rooting around in the freezers, I also found lots of odds and ends - tubs or bags of leftover cooked veggies, single portions of leftover meals...chilli, stew and the like.  Next week I shall do 2 or 3 days of freezer meals - meals made up of leftovers.  Pastry or sauces may need to be involved, to stretch things or make them into a more cohesive meal.  That should get my imagination working, as well as creating more space in the freezers.

Thank you for comments....Goldensunflower (lovely name) I'll post the recipe for the dog biscuits tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I bet the rissoles will be absolutely delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off to look up rissoles. You haven't made anything inedible yet!
    Husband will eat if your not keen on it..I've noticed.
    Looking forward to dog biscuit recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember buying Kalettes a few years ago in Waitrose; I put them in the salad drawer (the bit where I put things then, since I can't see them, they are forgotten) finally rediscovering them just on expiry day and, having cooked them, deicovered how much I like them. I have never seen them since.

    I like the sound of your roasted dinner. What was in your rissoles?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!