We have a few things coming up that we need to save money for, so have decided that we'll try and keep our food shop to £100 for February. I've taken the cash out and will keep it in a separate compartment in my purse, and when it's gone it's gone. In theory it shouldn't be hard to stick to that at all, after all, it's £25 a week and we have plenty of food in the freezers and larder cupboards, loads of dog food and toiletries/cleaning supplies.
In fact, the only things I can think of that we will need are soya milk (they had none in the supermarket when we went on Thursday), fresh veg and fruit and possibly some cheese and butter (possibly?! Who am I kidding, we always need cheese!). Oh, eggs as well, I expect, we get through a lot of eggs.
For dinner tonight I'm making beef curry. An easy meal, I like to have an easy day on Saturdays. It's the last of the beef we had at Christmas, some pre-sliced red onions, mushrooms and peppers, and a bought jar of jalfrezi sauce. I buy the onions and peppers and sometimes the mushrooms ready sliced in Morrisons, it's what they use for their in-store pizzas and salads, they sell the leftover veg in huge bags for £1 at the end of the day sometimes, I always grab a bag if I see them and freeze them. We'll have it with plain brown basmati rice. I thought (for a split second!) about making flatbreads but decided against it....don't want the extra carbs and can't be bothered anyway, haha. It's one of those days today.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
It sounds absolutely delicious and good luck with your challenge. I'm sure you will achieve it.
ReplyDeletexx
Hubby made a loaf this morning, so we had poached eggs on toast for lunch, it was lovely.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your challenge. I tried a £100 for the month challenge last year and just about managed it. I've decided to stockpile a little at present pending a no deal Brexit. If it proves unnecessary (which I sincerely hope is the case) then I'll have extra in the store cupboards and will do a £75 challenge just on fresh stuff.
ReplyDeleteGood luck Sue, I am doing a £100 a month for 3 months challenge.
ReplyDelete