Went to Morrisons yesterday to do a little bit of shopping, because husband was busy laying the patio in the morning we didn't get there until late afternoon, at which time the staff were doing final reductions on the fresh stuff.
They quite often put out large bags of sliced red onion and mushrooms which they use on their deli and in-store pizza counters, reducing them down to pennies towards the end of the day. Yesterday they didn't have any, but what they did have was several plastic tubs of falafels, 500g tubs, reduced to 50p per tub. I bought two. On getting them home, I opened the tubs and counted them - a total of 46 falafels, I bagged them up into 5 separate tubs and froze 4 of them. 5 meals' worth of falafels for 20p each, bargain. I also got a pack of fancy filled pasta, like ravioli but round, filled with butternut squash, girolles and sage, reduced from £2.50 to 40p, and 6 mini pork pies reduced to 20p - well, it's nice to have a treat occasionally!
So tonight we're having the pasta with some of the falafel, with a homemade tomato and leek sauce, I shall cut the falafel into quarters and heat them through in the sauce. I'll toast some of my sourdough and top it with garlic butter and melted cheese to serve with it. Might have to have a bit of chocolate afterwards, it's that kind of day.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
I know I keep repeating myself, but I would come eat at your house every day.
ReplyDeleteBless you B, thanks x
Deletegreat bargains, I never find any ! obviously shopping at the wrong time of day !
ReplyDeleteThere seems to be no rhyme or reason to when our morrisons buts out the reduced stuff but you really caught a good 'un! That's amazing value and fits so well with your way of eating.
ReplyDeleteI'm having a go at the sourdough bread today - fingers crossed.
xx
That all sounds delicious!
ReplyDeleteThey sound like really tasty bargains. It's so much nicer than cheap lettuce isn't it. x
ReplyDelete