I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Monday, 1 April 2019

Chorizo & butter beans, pea and ham soup

I love chorizo for the huge savoury smoky paprika kick it gives to anything.  Husband isn't keen on eating it as such, but quite likes the savouriness it imparts.  So I tend not to use it in plain slices on a pizza, say, but usually chop it up and use it as an ingredient.  

For dinner tonight, I'm doing a chorizo and butter bean thing.  I've chopped and fried the chorizo in olive oil with a sliced leek (still got a lot in the garden, we really did well with them last year, they seem never ending!).  I've added the cubed aubergine out of the Lidl veg box, some mushrooms, tin of chopped tomatoes, bit of stock and a tin of butter beans, along with S&P and a big shake of dried sage.  It's simmering now and smells lovely.  We'll have it with some cauli cheese and red cabbage left over from yesterday.

Talking of yesterday, husband cooked the dinner (and he did it beautifully, with no help from me at all).  We had a small gammon joint which he boiled, a jacket potato out of the veg box, cauli & broccoli cheese which he made himself (the broccoli came from the veg box too), and braised red cabbage, it was all lovely.  We saved the bacon stock, I'm going to use it tomorrow to make pea and ham soup with the leftovers of the gammon joint.  The weather is forecast to turn cold and wet from tomorrow, so it's back to soup!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds lush, I love the flavour of Chorizo but find it a bit chewy unless it has been cooked further. Definitely soup weather this week, I need to get more vegetables in that case, one red pepper and a pack of mangetout just won't cut it!

    Well done to S, I expect that his confidence in cooking has improved enormously. XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals are just so wonderful - a word feast!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!