I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Thursday, 4 April 2019

Roasted monkfish, filo pasties, chicken curry

The scallops (which I won't be having again, although husband quite liked them) and monkfish were both bought reduced to half price as they were on date - as they're expensive that's the only way I'd be buying them.  The price of fish has really gone up lately, don't know whether it's to do with all this Brexit rubbish, or fishing quotas, or what.  Pity, as we do like fish and would eat more of it if it wasn't so expensive, particularly as we're eating so much less red meat now.

For dinner last night I roasted a tray of veggies - small new potatoes, Chantenay carrots, courgette (all from the cheap Lidl veg box), a sweet potato and an aubergine, with a big splash of olive oil, some smoked paprika and seasoning.  When nearly done I put the monkfish tails on top, brushed with oil, some fresh lemon slices (from the veg box) and salt & pepper and roasted for another 20 mins.  The fish was absolutely yum, really meaty and flavoursome.  We'll have it again IF it's reduced enough in price.

I had a box of filo pastry sheets and some leftover mashed potato, so made pasties.  Mixed some grated Cheddar, crumbled feta, chopped sun dried tomatoes and diced ham (remainder of the gammon joint we had the other day) into the mash, with parsley and sage.  Put a sausage shape of mash on each sheet of pastry, brushed with oil and rolled it up like a sausage roll and baked.  They've all gone in the freezer, to be taken out for packed lunches when we go for days out.

Husband asked for chicken curry tonight.  We have cooked roast chicken in the freezer, plenty of mushrooms, leeks of course, and half a jar of tikka paste in the fridge.  Think I'll put some chopped dried apricots in it too.  We'll have it with plain brown basmati rice, with some peas added.


4 comments:

  1. I am sitting here shaking my head. You have such imagination when it comes to putting things together in different dishes. I have got to step up my cooking game and start pitching in other things I have on hand in stead of cooking usual things. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had a vivid imagination....maybe too overactive at times, hence why I have trouble sleeping!

      Delete
  2. I like to mix it up when it comes to food, it is always good to try new combinations. It will be an experimental dinner tonight, I will just get everything out of the fridge and see what I come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monkfish is so nice, but as you say, expensive. Yes, I've noticed that fish is climbing in price. I try and offset a more expensive one with something a lot cheaper to balance it out and I've recently tried some frozen pollock fillets from Iceland (7 large fillets for £3.99) and they were ok, but they need serving with a tasty sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!