I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Wednesday, 30 January 2019

Quiche, wedges and homemade coleslaw

We're going out today so it's something out of the freezer for dinner tonight....an anonymous quiche (I forgot to label it when I made and froze it a few weeks ago), bought spicy wedges and homemade coleslaw.  The coleslaw is white and red cabbage and carrots - although I usually finely slice the cabbage and grate the carrots, for quickness today I shall be whizzing them in my food processor - yes it chops rather than shreds or slices (my grater attachment broke ages ago), but we don't mind, it all goes down the same way.  I'll add a handful of grated cheese too.  Incidentally, I buy big blocks of Cheddar when on offer, grate it myself and keep it in plastic bags in the freezer.  You can use it straight from the freezer, it stays free-flowing and defrosts in no time if you want it as is.

I don't put onion in coleslaw as raw onion doesn't agree with me, gives me stomach trouble.  

The dressing will be mayo and Greek yogurt, half and half, with a spoonful of grainy mustard, salt & pepper and a sprinkle of paprika.

An anonymous reader asked about reheating frozen veggy cobbler so that the scone topping doesn't burn.  Yes, reheating in the microwave would be fine, or do it in the oven if you like but cover the dish with foil, that should stop the scones burning.  That's what I do.  Or you could always take the scones off, reheat the casserole and then add the scones back on top for the last 5 or 10 minutes.

I'm happy to allow anonymous comments if people don't have a Blogger account (provided they're polite comments, of course).  But would you anonymous commenters mind putting your name at the end of your comment, especially if you ask a question?  It's a bit disconcerting replying to someone who's a complete stranger, just as it would be in real life face to face.

11 comments:

  1. I am often guilty of putting something unlabelled in the freezer.
    Enjoy your day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to label things, but I guess I just thought oh it's a quiche, doesn't need labelling!

      Delete
  2. I do exactly the same with cheese. It means I don't go hacking off naughty little bits to nibble! You have reminded me that I have a block that needs grating so I've put that on today's list.
    Quiche, wedges and coleslaw sounds delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, funny how bits of cheese tend to leap out at us when we open the fridge!

      Delete
  3. Love the mysterious quiche! Sounds yummy! My favorite is cheese and spinach! Have a good day out today! I know this is a food blog but maybe a word about weather there. -2 today here plus wind chill!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually quite warm yesterday, in a chilly sort of way! 7 deg C, sunny but felt colder in the wind.

      Delete
  4. Well then if you made it you know the quiche is of bits and bobs of thing you like! Makes eating like an adventure.
    0 degrees F. in Southern Indiana, U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sooze, Just wanted to say I love your new blog, and also that I can respond. I don't have a blogger account, but felt I wanted to comment on your old blog but couldn't.

    your recipes sound delicious and I will definitely try some of them.

    Hope you and your Husband are keeping well

    Best wishes
    Ree x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I freeze grated cheese too, and sometimes a mixture of types. Ideal for quiches or in an omelette.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!