The chocolate and orange cake. The choc topping looks a bit grainy, and it is....I melted the choc in the microwave, then stirred in some finely grated orange rind. I thought the chocolate was going to seize - it didn't quite seize, but the texture did change, it went from silky smooth and pourable to thick and grainy, so I spread it on the cake quickly before anything else happened! It tastes ok though, thankfully.
Shopping this morning, we don't need much at all, just a couple of things we've run out of (red lentils and stuffing mix, both of which I use a lot) and some fresh veg. We're eating so much more veg nowadays, I do use quite a bit of frozen veg now, but you can't beat fresh for some things.
For dinner this evening I'm doing vegetarian. I saw a recipe the other day (can't remember where...oh, I think it popped up on my Facebook feed) for smashed potatoes. What you do is boil small to medium size potatoes in their skins until nearly soft, drain and leave to cool, then press on them firmly until they're squashed and the skins split. Then put in an oven tray, toss with melted butter, herbs and grated Parmesan, then bake until crispy.
I'm also doing roasted Brussels sprouts. I only discovered a couple of years ago that roasting sprouts changes their taste entirely - I love sprouts anyway, but roasting them until the edges go brown and crispy makes them taste all caramelly and a bit smoky and they're just delicious. I shall mix pecan nuts (there's a handful left in a bag in the cupboard) and some dried cranberries in with them and a bit of oil, then roast for 20 mins.
Carrots and parsnips roasted with honey to go alongside. I might make a cheese sauce too.


Some pictures of you food, how lovely, it looks wonderful, homemade pizza is a great way of using up bits and bobs lurking in the fridge isn't it. I always have trouble melting chocolate in the microwave so I tend to stick to a basin over a pan of water now. Roasted sprouts are nice, so different, we had a sprout and cheese risotto the other day the sprouts were pan fried and I loved them like that as well.
ReplyDeleteI've seen Jamie Oliver or Nigella Lawson (can't remember which) doing smashed potatoes and they looked so delicious The squashing creates lots of crunchy opportunities. And roasted sprouts - mmmmmmmmmmmmm
ReplyDeleteA delicious day's food!
xx
Sue, we do not eat any pulses, have you a couple of recipes you can share, I have already got them, I just need to use them. PS no cheese in recipe, hubby can't eat it.
ReplyDeleteI have realised, rather late in life, that you can roast all manner of vegetables successfully. I have recently started roasting beetroot after parboiling it first in the microwave, and tonight I am roasting broccoli which I sprinkle with crushed garlic, a little lemon juice, and rapeseed oil then mix together.
ReplyDeleteYum vegetarian!!!!
ReplyDeleteI have done smashed potatoes before now, there is a definite tasty difference to them isn't there?
ReplyDeleteNo more sprouts for me - the organic ones I cooked at Christmas were so strongly flavoured that I could not eat them.
Hello again-nice to have found you. I like smashed potatoes very much and I can eat sprouts anyway including raw. I even used up tired looking ones recently by shredding them and tossing them into veg soup ai was making. I wonder if the oil in the zest emulsified the chocolate? As long as it tastes good, we eat food that is not picture perfect.
ReplyDeleteGood to have found your new blog Sooze. You are sharing some delicious looking baking and Betty is getting some delicious food!
ReplyDelete