Husband needed to get a couple of things in the town this afternoon, so we popped into Morrisons whilst we were there to pick up some dog food, there's a particular one Betty really likes. I managed to get some excellent YS (yellow sticker) bargains....amazing, we don't often find really good bargains as we never seem to be in the shop at the right time. They'd reduced a lot of fruit and veg, I got a net of satsumas for 30p, 3 punnets of chestnut mushrooms for 20p each....on date but still looking perfect, and a bag of 5 avocados for 60p! Gobsmacked!
The mushrooms I shall put in an oven dish, dot with butter/oil and parsley and roast, then freeze them. A couple of the avocados we'll have for lunch tomorrow, I'm thinking of making chocolate brownies with the rest, I vaguely remember seeing a recipe some time ago, will have to google for it. The satsumas will just be eaten as is.
My sourdough - oh I'm so pleased with it, considering it's my first one in 2 or 3 years. The leaven I made with some of the starter mixed up with the flour into a lovely smooth dough, and it rose beautifully - I left it overnight and baked it this morning, after kneading and proving again in my banneton. It baked well, rising again in the oven, and looks and smells fantastic. The proof will be in the eating, of course - we'll have some tomorrow for lunch topped with some smashed avocado, bacon and a poached egg.
The dough after proving for a couple of hours in the banneton.
The baked loaf. It's darker in colour than the photo - colours don't show up very well on my phone.
I've asked husband to buy me a Stanley knife, so I can make better cuts on my breads...he offered to fetch me one of his from the shed, I politely declined 😁
Tonight we're having a beef stirfry, another leftovers meal from the freezer. I shall add a chopped yellow pepper and small head of broccoli to it, both going soft in the fridge and needing using today. We'll have it with a ping packet of egg fried rice. Easy meal as I've been gardening today and my back is murmuring.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


That looks absolutely wonderful. You obviously have the knack (and I don't!) You'll enjoy it very much, I know.
ReplyDeletexx
What a beauty !
ReplyDeleteI started some flour and water in ajar 1 day ago and nothing is happening, help.
ReplyDeleteBriony
x
I can almost smell that bread and it smells flipping lovely. I would really like to try making. ... How do I make the starter?
ReplyDeleteThat looks wonderful!
ReplyDelete