I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Monday, 18 February 2019

Another out of the freezer meal, and 3rd shop

We did our 3rd shop from this month's £100 food budget, it came to £21.85.  Running total £77.84, leaving £22.16 for the final week.  I think we're doing alright, I know we won't need much so should stay within budget.  Next week in our Lidl they're giving away a 200g jar of coffee as part of their 6-week opening offer freebies, handy as we'll need coffee by then!

Today we're having leftover cottage pie, previously made and the leftovers frozen 2 or 3 weeks ago.  There's not a huge amount of the cottage pie, enough for a small portion each, but we have loads of veggies to go with it....Savoy cabbage and roasted carrots left from yesterday's dinner, frozen green beans and peas.  We also have mashed potato left from yesterday, I shall make fishcakes with that for tomorrow's dinner, using tinned salmon or tuna (or both).

Tomorrow I'm going to use 2 packs of minced beef from the freezer (500g each) to make a big quantity of savoury mince and veggies in the slow cooker.  It'll be portioned up and frozen for Bolognese, cottage pie and lasagne, and kidney beans/spices added to some for chilli.  With 2 tins of chopped tomatoes and plenty of frozen veggies cooked with it (diced mixed veg, mushrooms and spinach) and some red lentils, it should make a lot of portions.


3 comments:

  1. You have done so well with your budget, and you are lucky you have a good freezer stock, ideal for when there are extra expenses sometimes.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly will do it and you're doing so very well. And that coffee offer is so very handy - great timing.

    I'm rarely without some cooked and frozen savoury mince. One of the most useful things I have and I agree, it goes a long way with all the additions. I also add a handful of oats - they thicken beautifully and reduce to nothing - you can't tell they are there.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like doing bulk cooking. Husband eats mince but I don't. I make up individual servings that can be adjusted and added to as necessary to produce pies, chilli, bolognase etc.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!