This week I really must try to use more stuff out of the freezer....whilst we have had a few frozen things recently, I've also batch cooked and added more stuff to the freezer. Doesn't really help in the short term, when there's so much in it already that I have a job finding anything. So it's going to be a week of taking out at least one (preferably more) frozen item each day, and not putting anything back in. If we have any leftovers from a meal, I'll incorporate them into the next day's meal or have them for lunch, rather than shoving them in the freezer as I usually do.
Roast beef today, a small joint that we managed to find a couple of weeks ago, reduced to half price. There will be leftovers, I'm sure, so a beef pie or curry tomorrow. Probably a pie, I have homemade pastry in the freezer so that's one thing I can take out tomorrow.
The scones - well, they were so light and fluffy, I'm definitely going to use all yogurt in them from now on. Janice, the idea of using flavoured yogurt in sweet scones is brilliant. And Gemma's Person, I bet pecans in scones are delicious, I love pecans, must try that. Your cinnamon rolls and savoury rolls sound wonderful.
I'd forgotten about the Lime Drizzle Cake, TA, I'm glad you liked it. Goldensunflower, happy birthday for Tuesday....yes go on, make yourself a cake! You know there's no calories in birthday cakes, don't you?! ;-)
Eloise, parsnip with apple and onion sounds great, I'd not thought of that. Joy, yes I use yogurt for soda bread too, I make one every week (well, husband makes it sometimes) for an elderly neighbour who has various dietary issues and can't eat yeasted bread.
The mystery rissoles we had the other day....when they were defrosted it still wasn't obvious what was in them, I just couldn't remember how I'd made them. I was a bit concerned that they might not be very tasty, hence why they'd been languishing in the freezer for several weeks. So when reheating them (I did them in the oven, along with jacket potatoes), I put a sun dried tomato and some grated cheese on top of each one, so at least they'd have some taste! They turned out to be sausagemeat with onion, tomato, rice and herbs, they were actually quite nice. Does anyone remember the rissoles from years ago, frozen, made by Birds Eye or Ross I think? We had them as children quite often, not totally sure what was in them but I think it was sausagemeat and chopped cooked egg, they were formed into patties, covered in breadcrumbs, Mum shallow fried them and served them with chips and beans usually.
Marlene, that's a really nice thing to say, thank you. I love to cook and my imagination runs riot when I'm making something, I quite often do something different on the spur of the moment, thinking 'Oh I know, I could add...whatever..., that'll be good'.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
Goodness, I feel hungry after reading the above. Your food sounds just so delicious, so well described.
ReplyDeletexx
Agreed!
DeleteHi Sue, I love cooking and competent, but I am not very good at opening the cupboards up and being very inventive, preferring to use a recipe. You will teach me a thing or two for sure here.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your roast beef, I am drooling thinking about it, I am having a no cook day today.