I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Tuesday, 5 February 2019

Meat-free Monday - Feta salad, Veg hash with eggs

This should have been posted yesterday, but I got sidetracked ;-)

Incidentally, I have no (nearly said beef but that's not very appropriate under the circumstances!  haha) grumble, quarrel, problem etc with vegetarians or vegans, each to their own.  As I said, we do try to have vegetarian meals a couple of times a week (yesterday being a case in point)….we probably don't have many vegan meals though, unless it's by accident.  So vegetarians and vegans are welcome on my blog, but only polite comments will be published.

Anyway, yesterday's lunch was salad, as it was a warmer day.  It was mixed leaves with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, peppers and grated carrot, topped with crumbled feta and a blob of mayo.  Ok but a bit boring, to be honest - I'm not really a salad lover, but husband is.  I'd have liked some olives but didn't have any, and husband's not a fan of those anyway.

For dinner, I did a sort of veg hash thing.  Had some roast potatoes and parsnips left over from the Sunday roast, I diced them, along with a small orange pepper, some mushrooms and a large courgette.  I fried them all in a little oil in a non stick pan, then made 4 dips in the mixture and cracked an egg into each dip.  Cooked for a minute on the hob, then put the pan into the pre-heated top oven for another couple of minutes.  Pulled it out and sprinkled on some grated Cheddar, returning it to the oven for another 5 minutes.  Lovely.  

Today I'm making faggots (sort of large meatballs made from pork, liver and bacon all minced together - I whizz it all up in the food processor - and mixed with dry sage & onion stuffing).  The mixture should make a lot, so plenty to freeze.  We'll have them with mashed white and sweet potato, Savoy cabbage and the onion gravy that I'll be cooking the faggots in.

We did our first shop for this £100 food shop challenge yesterday, went to Lidl and spent £22.31, which I was pleased with.  I discovered they do boxes of 40 Redbush teabags, which is my favourite tea, for 75p - amazing price, it's usually £1.80-£2.15 in other supermarkets...different brand admittedly, but I expect it tastes much the same.  I got 2 boxes, which was all they had....I'd have bought more if they had them.  They're doing 6 weeks of opening offers (the store is a new one which opened around last Christmas), you get a free product every week for the 6 week period if you spend £20+.  We missed the first 2 weeks as we didn't know this offer was on...it hadn't been publicised anywhere, well, not that we'd seen.  The free thing this week was a 1l bottle of olive oil, price £2.89 - I use olive oil often for cooking so was happy to be given that.  Next week it's soap powder, apparently.

Thank you for the comments on my last post.  

7 comments:

  1. Morning Sue, I haven't had faggots for years we used to buy the Mr Brains one's, I keep saying to myself I should try and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And olive oil is one of the products most likely to be affected by Brexit according to various websites so if there is a shortage, we know where to come LOL. Mind you, if they're giving it away for free, it doesn't sound as though there's going to be a shortage, does it? Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Nan often used to make faggots I will have to give them a try. Do you use anything else to bind them together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog-as a vegatarian I am astonished that readers would make negative comments on a food blog! I know discussing politics and religion can cause confusion but my goodness being a vegetarian or vegan! Why don't people keep those opinions to themselves???? Keep writing and ignore negative comments! You could do a great cookbook with your descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would come to your restaurant daily. Your food sounds SO good.
    YES YES Brenda Burke... a cook book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't had faggots in years! They are so savoury and the gravy is lovely too. We did have liver and onions the other day, that was lush too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faggots....ooooh I love faggots and the hash sounds really tasty too.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!