I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Thursday, 14 February 2019

No cooking day

Gemma's P, you did make me laugh saying you thought Marmite sounded like an animal!  Sorry, I assumed everyone in the world had heard of it.  Have you heard of Vegemite, or Bovril?  Similar things.  Marmite is a brown sticky spread for toast or sandwiches, very salty and deeply savoury, it's yeast extract, a by-product of beer making.  You either love it or hate it (that's the slogan they use!) - I love it, having been brought up on it, husband hates it.  Well, actually, to tell the truth I prefer the Aussie version, Vegemite, nowadays (don't throw stones at me for betraying my country!! haha).  The texture of Marmite has changed in recent years, it seems to be softer and runnier than it used to be, whereas Vegemite has a firmer texture which I like and a slightly different taste.  Bovril is beef extract, in case you didn't know, it's generally used more for gravy or as a hot drink.  I hate that, whereas husband really likes Bovril!!  Go figure!

Something light for lunch today....husband will probably have the last of the roast beef in a sandwich, I might just have a slice of the banana and cinnamon cake I made yesterday, with a coffee.

No cooking....we're going out for dinner, a 4-course meal for Valentine's Day, a very rare event!

5 comments:

  1. I adore Marmite (and it is veggie friendly which suits my daughter).
    Have a wonderful meal out tonight. I am looking forward to hearing what you had.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate it, always have, terrible stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did look it up after I read your last post and saw they have a sculpture of a jar at Burton-On-Trent.
    I would give it a try . Going to see if I can find something like it . Have heard of vegemite, because of a song.
    Hope your meal was better than usual eating out food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Marmite but only as a sanwich/cracker spread I would not use it as a flavouring for soups and stews. I also love Bovril but only as a drink/stew flavouring.

    I am so looking forward to hearing about your tonight's meal, tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Marmite too. Anything Marmite flavoured is welcome on my plate!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!