I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Saturday, 9 February 2019

Parsnip & bacon frittata, cheese scones, chowder

I had a large wrinkled parsnip that needed using up yesterday, not used it in a frittata before but thought it would go well with bacon for lunch.  So I peeled and grated it, then fried it gently along with 2 bacon rashers cut up small, and a couple of sliced spring onions.  Added 5 beaten eggs and some grated cheese, cooked it for a couple of minutes until it was set on the bottom, then finished it off under the grill.  We had it with tinned tomatoes, it was lovely, the parsnip made it taste quite sweet and creamy, even.

Made cheese scones to go with the chowder for dinner.  I usually use yogurt and milk mixed together for scones, I sometimes add an egg, sometimes not.  This time I did use an egg, but all yogurt instead of half yogurt, half milk, because I had some Greek yogurt that was past the use by date (it smelt and tasted fine, it lasts for ages anyway) and I wanted to finish it up.  The scones were yummy, probably the lightest ever, even husband commented on them.




I had a nice chunky piece of smoked haddock in the freezer (which turned out to be smoked cod but no matter!), so decided to make chowder....we were going to have creamy smoked mackerel pasta but I didn't fancy pasta yesterday.  So I diced a large potato and chopped up a leek (still from the garden, there are still loads there), frying them in a large pan.  Added some chicken stock, along with Italian seasoning (husband spoke to me as I was shaking it in, so rather more than I anticipated went in, it still tasted fine, if a bit herby, but was a nice shade of green!) and some pepper.  Threw in some frozen sweetcorn and peas, simmered it for about 20 mins, then added some milk.  Meanwhile, I microwaved the cod for a couple of minutes, then flaked it up when it had cooled a bit....I always flake fish by hand as it's the easiest way to feel for any bones.  When the veg in the chowder was cooked, I stirred in the fish and a big splash of cream, heating it through again gently.  Yum.




Sorry I didn't take a photo of the frittata, completely forgot.  My photos, taken on my phone, aren't brilliant anyway.

6 comments:

  1. Reading yopur descriptions makes me feel hungry. It all sounds absolutely delicious and hin out there is a lucky man indeed.
    I always use yogurt for scones now; it works so well and tastes so good. I also use it for soda bread instead of buttermilk. If I'm a bit short I make it up with some milk (old milk that needs using up works well here) and the rise is great!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds totally lush Sooze. I use Greek yogurt for scones, hubby is right they do come out super light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scones..I have had pecan ones that were wonderful, first time I had them and they seemed perfect to me. Haven't tried to make them myself but am mixing up bread dough today . Plan to make some like a cinnamon roll but savory with cheese bacon and onion. Cinnamon rolls for the husband and plain rolls for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another thing I have never made is a chowder. You are a very good and imaginative cook Sue. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. All sound delicious. I'm not keen of sweet corn except used in a chowder d then it becomes essential. Cheese scones are always yummy. I make quite a few frittatas; they are a brilliant way to used up bits of this and that. I love parsnips and they are nice too with onion and apple in a tarte tatin. Oh and parsnip & Apple soup....fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All your dishes sound delicious and just perfect for the kind of weather we are having (-23C). I always use Greek yogurt in my scones. The older the yogurt, but still good, the better because it gets thicker. If I'm making sweet scones I like to use blueberry or strawberry yogurt, yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!