I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Wednesday, 20 February 2019

Spag bol, sourdough loaf and a soapbox moment

Thank you for comments....Eloise, £120 p.w. for two people!!  Blimey!  And Janice and Gemma's P, thank you.  I just enjoy being inventive and experimenting, although haven't always been like that....when I was working full time, we had a lot of ready meals and takeaways.  I've always liked cooking and the odd bit of baking, but it was only really when I was in my 40s and started working part time that I started proper cooking, as it were.

I can only assume that people whose shopping costs that much must have a lot of ready meals or big brand items, or just buy whatever takes their fancy on the day.  I bet they have a lot of waste, too.  On the subject of which, somebody told me something the other day which made me gasp - they said when they have a roast chicken, they only eat the breast and throw the legs - well, all the rest of the bird - away!  I was staggered.  I think we owe it to ourselves, the environment and the animals whose meat we eat (if we are carnivores) to use up all the food we buy and cook.  Throwing perfectly good food away is criminal, the way I see it, as well as being stupidly expensive.

Right, that's me off the soapbox now....each to their own, I guess.

The slow cooker mince yesterday made 6 double portions to freeze, as I expected.  Well, 5 to freeze, we're having one (a smaller portion) as spaghetti Bolognese today.  The others I am sure will do us for 2 meals each, once I do something else with each of them.

A couple of years ago I used to make sourdough bread regularly, I had a starter on the go for several months.  Can't remember why I stopped.  Then recently one of the bloggers I follow, Julie who used to have the LovelyGrey blog but now blogs as https://makesmedotdotdot.com/ mentioned her sourdough starter, which made me want to do it, so a week or so ago I started up a starter again.  The past couple of days it's been bubbling away nicely and having that lovely fresh 'beery' smell, so I'm using some today to make my first new sourdough loaf.  Fingers crossed, I'll let you know how it goes.  Must have a look for my banneton (cane proving basket) in a minute, I think I know where it is...

6 comments:

  1. I hope you find it!
    Sourdough is one of my failures, sadly. I've never managed to produce a nice loaf, they are always brick-like. Like you, I do love the sourdough smell as it's growing and bubbling.

    I have a friend who used to do that with a chicken - I couldn't stand it! I'd have taken the rest off her hands if she'd lived closer, but she didn't, so I couldn't!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed that person buys a whole chicken, so many seem to only buy breast fillets. Like you I use the whole bird and boil the bones up for stock. I missed all of yesterdays blogs, I think I got carried away with all this housewifey stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chicken - the BEST bits are those that they dispose of!

    I have developed a dislike of minced beef - the texture maakaes me heave nowadays.

    I am looking forward to hearing about your sourdough loaf. I have never, yet, managed to make a decent starter. I do have some out of date full-fat Greek yoghurt in the fridge though, and a newly freed-up Kilner jar so I might, just, think about having another go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sourdough go will be very interesting. I used to make it for our local farmers market.
    I will be very interested in your starter recipe and how it does go. I know it makes very good toast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sourdough bread but I have to confess I only buy it in the summer when we have people over for a bbq and I use it to make garlic toast on the bbq. Delish.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!