I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Friday, 15 February 2019

Valentine's dinner review

I'd been warned by a friend who'd eaten at the pub last year, along with his wife, and didn't like it...in fact his wife was ill afterwards, he said.  I did worry about that before we went...but we'd already paid half in advance, so we were going no matter what.  Well, I'm pleased to say the food was fine, as are we.  One or two things could have been better, though.

My starter was chicken liver pate (they called it parfait...pretentious, it's a local village pub in Somerset, not some minor celebrity chef's place on the banks of the Thames) and plenty of it, with a heap of very colourful salad, homemade red onion marmalade and toast.  The pate was delicious, as was the relish (husband ate my salad).  2 things let it down - the toast was 1 slice of ordinary cheap white sliced bread, and the dish was served on a piece of black slate.  A pet hate of mine - what's wrong with plates?!?!  Husband had 'sautéed scallops served with roasted cauliflower, pancetta lardons and cauliflower puree'.  When it arrived, his face was a picture - 3 small scallops with 3 tiny, I'm talking miniscule, florets of roasted cauli, a teaspoonful of lardons and a few dots, my smallest fingernail sized, of cauli puree.  He liked it all but said there was barely enough to taste, hence why he ate my salad and some of my pate and relish - there was too much of mine!

For my main I had 'serrano wrapped chicken stuffed with mozzarella, pesto and sun blush tomatoes in a tomato and chilli sauce', it came with new potatoes (plenty of them) and a massive amount of French beans.  The chicken, a large breast, was lovely and moist, the stuffing delicious, my only complaint being that the serrano ham was overdone, crispy and dry.  Fortunately, there was plenty of the sauce, which had large pieces of sun blush tomatoes in it and wasn't too spicy, it was really nice.  The potatoes were overcooked though, but the beans were underdone.  

Husband, bless him, had obviously drawn the short straw again with his choice of main course - 'slow roasted pork belly with fondant potato, black pudding, apple crisp and cider sauce'.  He also had French beans, although not as many as me.  The pork belly was 3, I kid you not, 3 one-inch sized cubes, with 2 round brown things which we first thought were miniature pork pies - they turned out to be the fondant potato.  One disc of black pudding, he didn't even notice the apple crisp (if there was one) and a tiny amount of sauce which he said tasted of nothing much.  Again, he ate quite a lot of my main course, there was too much of everything for me.

Oh, I forgot to mention the best bit....after our starters, we had a gin & tonic sorbet served in sherry glasses.  It was absolutely gorgeous, I could happily have eaten a whole big bowlful of it.

For dessert, I had crème brulee with a homemade shortbread biscuit.  Now, I like crème brulee, I've had it several times over the years, it's always been a very smooth, very creamy custard with, of course, the caramelised sugar topping.  This one, although very nice tasting, wasn't smooth or custard like - it was more like rice pudding!  Not smooth at all, a bit lumpy and quite solid, but as I said, it did taste quite nice.  I think the chef must have been distracted when he was making it.  The shortbread biscuit, which was clearly homemade (by a child, by the look of it), tasted of nothing, however.  Husband had cheese and biscuits with grapes - fine, nothing remarkable but nothing to complain about either.

In conclusion, on the whole we both liked the food, with a couple of reservations, husband's gripe being there just wasn't enough of it for him.  However, I do think that I could have cooked it better myself (and cheaper, and enough of it to satisfy husband) at home.  But it's nice to have dinner cooked for us and not have to wash up afterwards, and we enjoyed the evening with our friends, who are good company.

Oh, we also had a complimentary glass of Prosecco with a fresh raspberry in it upon arrival, which was a nice touch.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds to me as though it was nice but not enough. I always feel cheated if I don't get a good portion especially if its expensive. Still I'm sure it did you both good and I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never go out, hubby cooked duck, potatoe rosti, broad beans and carrots. With a lemon tart and fresh blueberries, bottle of Prosecco, perfect night together and no walk home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it is often like that - some bits you win and some bits you lose. The point about making it better yourself is a good one but it does save you the bother and, as you say, you can walk out and someone else clears up afterwards! Always a Good Thing.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love a (smooth) creme brulee. It's my favourite dessert but the one and only time I made it, it turned out lumpy. I think this happens when the boiled cream goes a bit cool and is then heated again rather than keeping it at a constant temperature. It always amazes me how portion sizes vary in pubs and restaurants. Some meals are so much better value than others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame about the inconsistency of portions. We often find that though - I always look for the tiniest things but D ends up finishing them off for me, meanwhile he doesn't even get a full plate. I know what you mean about eating off plates, the other day I was given a Pigeon salad on a carving board - it put me right off!

    Glad you had some tasty food though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting experience...if you weren't with friends , my husband and I would probably had laughing fits at the small portions. Glad you had enough to share.
    Here , in the U.S. , restaurants have started under cooking
    their green beans...not to my usual taste.
    It sounds almost like two different people made up your plates.
    Glad you got out and enjoyed your friends. And it wasn't inedible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, I forgot to ask what section in the store do you find marmite or vegamite.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!