I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Wednesday, 13 February 2019

Smoked mackerel pasta salad and no cook dinner

Not much in the way of cooking today, as it's mostly ready cooked things from the freezer.

For lunch I'll do a smoked mackerel pasta salad - there are 2 packs of smoked mackerel in the freezer that were bought when they were reduced a lot.  I'll cook some wholewheat pasta twists (well, it's hardly cooking!) and mix with some veggies....sweetcorn from the freezer, sliced gherkins and spring onion, with a horseradish mayo stirred through.  Served on some salad leaves.

Dinner will be a different thing each.  There's a single portion of leftover chicken stew in the freezer, and one of beef curry....I'll have the chicken.  We'll have them with brown rice, again a previously cooked tub in the freezer, enough for two.  They'll all be thoroughly reheated until piping hot in the oven, I'll put a banana cake in there too, as there's a couple of bananas going brown.  

I forgot to mention this week's shopping out of the £100 food budget.  Went to Morrisons this time, as I needed a few things that I can't get in Lidl or Aldi, like Marmite rice cakes (love them) and some dog food that Betty particularly likes.  Spent £33.68, giving a running total of £55.99, leaving £44.01 for the rest of this month.  That will do fine, we still don't need much.

From the freezer today:-

1 pack of smoked mackerel
Sweetcorn kernels
1 portion chicken stew
1 portion beef curry
Cooked brown rice

6 comments:

  1. You're doing so very well - and eating like royalty at the same time.
    I love those marmite rice cakes too. A real hit of savoury deliciousness.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love marmite and have never seen those rice cakes. As luck would have it I will be in Neath tomorrow and there is a Morrisons, I will be looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I agree with Joy you are doing well, I always have a pack of the marmite rice cakes, I am marmite mad. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on keeping with the challenge. I like marmite on a cheese sandwich so would probably like these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh , goodness, marmite sounds like an animal to me...off to look it up. I don't mind. I love the learning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want the marmite rice cakes to taste more marmite-y! They are very nice though. And twiglets - they're delicious

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!