After several weeks when I've not felt much like cooking at all, due to my ongoing gut issues, I'm now back into it and am having a batch cooking and baking day.
I took a 500g pack of beef steak mince out of the freezer last night, along with 8 Cumberland sausages. I shall make enough batter for 2 large Yorkshire puds, and several small ones to freeze. We'll have 2 sausages each with a load of veg and gravy in the large Yorkies for dinner tonight, the other 4 sausages will be cooked and frozen, we'll probably have a sausage sandwich at the weekend.
Using 200g of the mince, I'm going to make a big pot of beef and veg soup, I'll add pearl barley to bulk it out and flavour it with Marmite and herbs. I estimate it'll make about 8 portions, we'll have some for dinner tomorrow night (I'll make dumplings to go in it) and the rest will be frozen, having dumplings or mash with it each time, to make it filling enough for dinner rather than a lunch soup.
With the other 300g mince, I'll make chilli, using both kidney and baked beans to stretch it, plus plenty of finely chopped carrot and onion. I chop them up using my food processor, my arthritic knuckles don't like lots of chopping nowadays. It'll be portioned up and frozen, probably 3, possibly 4 meals for the two of us, to be served with brown rice or a jacket potato and a green veg.
Husband wants some cake, so I'll make a light fruit cake, or maybe an apple cake.....we have apples to use up fairly quickly. Our homegrown apples this year are not storing well at all, they're going soft and brown very rapidly, I wonder if it's because we've had so much rain this year?
If I have time, I'll have to process more of the remaining apples to freeze, I don't really want to have to chuck them away.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.
Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!