I spent most of the day baking - well, when I get up feeling good having had a great night's sleep, I have to make the most of it!
Having prepared the fruit for the Christmas cake and added to the mincemeat the other day, it was about time I got round to actually baking. First thing this morning I made bread dough and a load of pastry - I always do pastry in my food processor now, so much easier. I do a big quantity too, so there's some to freeze for another day.
After leaving it to rest in the fridge for an hour, I then made mince pies, with a cinnamon crumble topping instead of pastry. I made 2 dozen to freeze, plus a pudding-for-2 size as there was enough mincemeat and crumble left. The remaining pastry, enough for a pastry top and bottom pie or 2 open tarts, went in the freezer (oops, just realised.....although I did write 'pastry' on the bag, I should have put 'sweet pastry', in case I forget and use it for something savoury).
The Christmas cake mixture made one large and 2 individual size cakes, which husband will be pleased about as he'll be able to eat the little ones before Christmas!
The loaf is a quick sourdough using an overnight starter and is 1/3 rye, 1/3 wholemeal and 1/3 white.
I've only part cooked the mince pies before freezing them, they'll be going in the oven again when I take them out at Christmas. The big cake is a bit cracked, I think the oven was still too hot after cooking the bread, should have waited a bit for it to cool down, and covered it with foil sooner. Husband won't mind though, it won't affect the taste. It won't have marzipan and icing on as he doesn't like it.
I've also made a steamed pudding for dinner tonight, it's bacon leek and sweetcorn, I've not followed a recipe, just winged it. Doing it in the slow cooker, which I've never tried before, but saw a mention of on a blog the other day. Hope it works out ok! No photo as it's still cooking.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.


Cooking up a storm! You are well organised with your baking, my lovely. Hugs xx
ReplyDeleteIt all sounds and looks wonderful, so cheering and festive.
ReplyDeletexx