I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Thursday, 28 November 2019

Day 6 - Getting on with new diet

A couple of you commented that I'm doing so well with a very small spend....the reason we're doing so well though is that we had very full cupboards, fridge and freezer to start with.  It'll be more challenging as time goes on and more food gets used up though.  I'm doing this as an experiment, to see how long we can go before we really need to go shopping again, and to get me out of the habit of going shopping every few days and ending up buying things we don't strictly need.

The barley and roasted veg salad was really yummy, we're having it again today for lunch, with some added vinaigrette dressing as I think it needs a bit more sharpness.  Husband will have a tin of fish, probably mackerel, with his, I'll add some olives and nuts to mine.

Dinner tonight will be a couple of pre-made things out of the freezer that need using up, as I still want to make a bit of space in there.  Husband's having a chicken curry, I'll have some leftover veggie lasagne, there's a small portion of it.  Both have been in the freezer for several months, so it's about time they got used.  We'll have them with some frozen veg.

I've decided that we'll eat a very healthy low fat diet Mon-Fri, then relax it a bit on Saturdays and Sundays....that way we won't feel deprived and go off the rails if we know we can perhaps have something a bit naughty at the weekends.  It will be strictly Sat/Sun only, no extending it to a long weekend including Fridays and Mondays!

I'm also cutting down on my coffee consumption - I drink those cappucino sachets, they are unsweetened, allegedly, but do contain some glucose and fat, so not strictly unsweetened.  I did start off with 2 a day but it's crept up to 3 for the last few weeks.  I'm not going to cut them out completely as I do really like them, but will go back down to 2 and sometimes just 1, drinking more redbush or herbal teas instead, which obviously I have without milk.  I've found a herbal tea I really like, Sainsburys Echinacea and Rosehip, it's delicious - most of them, whatever flavour, smell delicious and taste disgusting.  Or maybe that's just me lol.

Didn't go out yesterday, hence no spending, so the running total of £6.36 remains the same for Day 6.

3 comments:

  1. I think those sachets can be high in sodium as well, because I think the sodium is what makes them froth. :) We had to go through and cut out a lot of salt in 2016 and I was surprised at how much there was in foods I did not expect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree about herbal teas in general. Better as pot pourri!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the trick , stay home and you won't spend . ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!