I made a soup this morning that I've made several times before, it's really easy but is quite delicious.
To make 4 large bowlfuls:-
1/2 bag frozen cauli (1kg bag so 500g)
1/2 bag frozen broccoli
1 litre stock (veg, chicken or bacon)
Sage and parsley
Plenty of pepper, maybe a little salt depending on how salty your stock is
Some grated cheese of your choice
Simply put the cauli and broccoli (no need to defrost) in a large pan with the stock, herbs and pepper, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or so, until the veggies are soft. Take off the heat and cool for a while.
Use a stick blender to whizz it up (don't do it whilst it's boiling hot - if you're a bit careless like me, you run the risk of being splashed with boiling hot soup). When smooth, put back on the heat and stir in a couple of good handfuls of grated cheese.....blue cheese is good, or today I used some leftover Cheddar with caramelised onion, having run out of blue cheese. You could also use cream cheese or Philadelphia type soft cheese. Don't boil it, it might split, just reheat gently. Swirl a little cream on top when you serve it up, if you like. Add croutons for a bit of crunch.
If you like a really thick soup, you could add a handful of oats when cooking it, or split red lentils, or even a sprinkle of instant mash flakes.
Bacon stock (I save and freeze the stock from cooking gammons) makes this soup taste wonderful, but you can of course use any stock.
I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.
The soup sounds delicious as well as deliciously simple, Sooze. I have made cauli soup in the past but G wasn't keen. I think I'll try again adding cheese this time. The caulis were on offer at 69p in morrisons recently and I've seen broccoli as low as 39p. Thank you for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteThank you for this, my current soup is very lacking in flavour - I think I forgot to add my usual herbs and spices. I shall sprinkle them over when next reheating. I like cauliflower very much and enjoy it as a soup; I have Knorr Ham stock cubes so would probably use those. Hugs. xx
ReplyDeleteI made an almost identical soup this week in my soupmaker but I added a large chopped potato and a teaspoon of mustard when cooking and whizzed through a couple of tablespoons of creme fraiche at the end. Delicious.
ReplyDelete