I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Saturday, 9 November 2019

Starting cooking again and a great bargain

I'm still having stomach issues, with virtually everything I eat.  Have been having plain simply cooked meat, fish and veg, no spicy stuff, low carbs, higher carbs (a little pasta or brown rice), little or no wheat or gluten, high fibre, low fibre, cutting down on dairy....it's all the same result.  Although sometimes I can eat something one day and it will be absolutely fine, yet if I eat the same thing the next day I'll have terrible gut trouble.  No rhyme or reason to it and it's very frustrating.  Hence why I've still not been posting any meals.....not much one can say about plain poached chicken with green veg and a little brown rice!  I'm now feeling that since it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, I may as well eat whatever I want.  So I might start showing an interest in cooking again.

A few weeks ago my stand mixer gave up the ghost....it had given good service, I'd had it for several years and used it weekly mainly for mixing and kneading bread dough.  I've been on the lookout for a vintage Kenwood Chef and finally found one on our local neighbourhood buying and selling site.  A 901 model (from 1976), in full working order, with all tools including mincing attachment, plus the coffee grinder attachment that was still in the box and had never been used!  All for the princely sum of.....£20.  The lady (it had belonged to her mother who had recently died) said she was open to offers.....I was more than happy to just give her the £20, which she was donating to Children in Need anyway.  So now I can get back to breadmaking....my own semi-sourdough bread doesn't upset my stomach nearly as much as commercial bread, but I find it very difficult doing the kneading by hand as I have weak wrists and arthritic knuckles.  So I'm calling this a 60th birthday present to myself 😁

3 comments:

  1. What a find! A fantastic self birthday present!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good find, I look forward to seeing pictures of what you make. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bargain buy, no doubt about it. I look forward to more foodie posts too x

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!