I love to cook and bake, both for us (husband and I) and our dog. Husband loves to grow vegetables and fruit. I like to batch cook and freeze meals, so I can have a day off cooking occasionally! We eat meat and fish, but not every day. We make bread about twice a week, I bake a cake about every other week.

Wednesday, 13 November 2019

A successful kitchen day yesterday

Yesterday's kitchen day was successful and I made good use of the oven.  I cooked sausages, 2 giant Yorkshires for dinner last night, along with several smaller ones to freeze, mash made with potato, some leftover swede and half a butternut squash, all mashed together and topped with cheese.  I also made a light fruit cake and whilst the oven was on, cooked 2 jacket potatoes for today's dinner.

The chilli and the beef & veg soup both made 4 double portions each, all of which are frozen except for one of the chilli portions.  Husband's hospital appointment is mid afternoon and will take an hour, meaning we won't get home until almost dinnertime.  So we'll have the chilli with the jacket spuds I baked yesterday, all reheated in the microwave, I'll top it with some crème fraiche to cool it down a little, I seem to have made it spicier than usual.  Which means I'll probably have gut trouble during the night or tomorrow morning, but hey ho.

We had half of the mash in our big Yorkshires with sausages and green veggies yesterday for dinner.  The remaining mash we'll have with soup for lunch today.  When we were kids Mum used to give us Heinz tomato soup poured over mashed potato with a sprinkle of grated cheese on top, it was one of my favourite dinners (and obviously quick and cheap for Mum).

I didn't get round to doing all the apple prep yesterday, I really ought to go and do it now, or else the apples will end up having to be chucked on the compost heap as they're deteriorating rapidly.

2 comments:

  1. Blimey, you really were busy in the kitchen. I should do that more often and then meal times would be a doddle. I have never heard of anyone pouring soup over mash but it sounds interesting

    ReplyDelete

Please note: Anonymous comments will not be published unless you add a name at the end of your comment. This is to weed out those anonymous comments which are clearly just spam.

Spam comments, advertising or rude comments will not be published!